Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1930 740 Phaeton serial numbers
Just popping in
Just popping in

jackjrp
See User information
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the wonderful world of Packards but not the car hobby. I'm looking at a 740 Phaeton that a gentlemen might be willing to part with but I'm not clear about several things: 1) the "Engine Serial Number Reference(PDF)" posted on the website seems to suggest that the engine serial numbers for 740s should all be in the 179001-184501 range but the 1930 edition of "Information on Packard Motor Cars" page 38 states that the 740 and motor and vehicle serial number range is 179,001-188,000. Can anyone shed light on which is correct or if I'm misinterpreting something? Reason I ask is that the engine serial number of the 740 I'm looking at begins with 185XXX so I'm concerned that it's not the original engine., 2) My second question is how closely should the serial numbers on the motor, steering gear, frame, rear axle,etc. match? None of the numbers on this car match but everything is in the 184467-185059 range (except for the transmission with begins 326xxx so it's obviously a 8th series swap).

Thanks in advance for your input!
Jack

Posted on: 2016/2/15 18:17
Looking for a brass era Packard or possibly a 740/745. New to Packards but have been a car lover my whole life.
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 740 Phaeton serial numbers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1) the "Engine Serial Number Reference(PDF)" posted on the website seems to suggest that the engine serial numbers for 740s should all be in the 179001-184501 range but the 1930 edition of "Information on Packard Motor Cars" page 38 states that the 740 and motor and vehicle serial number range is 179,001-188,000

Generally best to go back to original Packard reference documents when you can, rather than secondary sources compiled by others. The attached is from Packard Service Letters. Curious there are two ranges for the 740/745 but I'm aware of 740/745 cars in both ranges given.

2) My second question is how closely should the serial numbers on the motor, steering gear, frame, rear axle,etc. match?

Just in the same range, sometimes give or take several hundred numbers.

Attach file:

jpg  (188.72 KB)
177_56c25fd061de6.jpg 882X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/15 18:24
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jackjrp
See User information
Thanks for the reply! I was hoping that was the case.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 20:30
Looking for a brass era Packard or possibly a 740/745. New to Packards but have been a car lover my whole life.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day jackjrp,
to PackardInfo. I invite you, when you've purchased your Packard(740, Brass Era or whatever), to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 2:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Also, be careful of people referring to their car as being a "phaeton," when in fact it's a touring. There's a pretty big difference in value. Both cars are magnificent, but the phaetons bring more money. If the car has jump seats in the back, it is a touring.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 8:35
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jackjrp
See User information
Hi West,

Thanks for the great advice! It is being misrepresented then...it has the jump seats so it's a Touring. Any thoughts on the difference in price vs. a true Phaeton? I'd call the car a 6/10 driver (looks pretty from a distance but it's an older resto with quite a few needs like the chassis lube system is disconnected, has an 8th series trans, etc.). Are there any other physical differences between a Touring and a Phaeton? I have some concerns this car was pieced together from several cars...it could be a 740/745 mutt of sorts. Lastly, I assume this there isn't but I thought I'd ask the dumb question anyway...is there any way to tell if it's a Phaeton by the serial numbers? As I stated earlier,all that I can find are in the 'correct' range per Packard literature for either a 740 or 745.

Thanks,
Jack

Posted on: 2016/2/17 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
....is there any way to tell if it's a Phaeton by the serial numbers?

Apologies for jumping in, you asked for a response from West, but it wasn't until 1932 that the body style # (which was also keyed to the chassis type) became a component of the vehicle number.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The biggest difference between the 740 and 745 are in the front fenders. The 745 is about 6 inches longer in front of the cowl, and so the front fenders have a much more flowing "french curve" to them, as opposed to a quick drop. Both the touring and phaeton were available with either chassis.

As for my opinion on a price difference between phaeton and touring, I'd say at least 25% more for a phaeton, in Class 3 condition.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 17:41
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jackjrp
See User information
Thanks again! To clarify on my "other physical differences..." question, I was actually wanting to know if, besides the jump seats, are there other differences on a 740 that I should be looking for. I haven't been able to find any 1930 brochures or dealer info that spells out the differences between the different trim level for by chassis (740, 745, etc).

Posted on: 2016/2/18 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
There isn't really any difference in "trim level" between 740 and 745. The wheelbase is longer on the 745, thus the longer flowing front fenders. Both utilized the same engine.

The difference between the touring and the phaeton is that the touring body is longer than the phaeton, extending further back over the rear axle, giving the needed space for the jump seats. A sport phaeton would have an additional cowl/windshield in back (must have both, not just a 2nd windshield), and is also referred to as a dual-cowl phaeton. Sometimes you'll see phaetons and tourings equipped with the accessory second windshield, and you'll also see that these are sometimes misidentified as "dual cowl phaetons."

Posted on: 2016/2/18 16:31
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved