Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Correct paint for frame and chassis on a 52 Deluxe 200
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
I am getting ready to start on what I hope will be a frame-off restoration on my 52 Deluxe 200. From what I can tell the frame uses a special black frame paint like I would get from Eastwood. What about the chassis? Can I use the same paint or is the color and/or texture different. I have never done a total frame-off before. All help appreciated. Thanks, Tracy.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 22:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Correct paint for frame and chassis on a 52 Deluxe 200
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
AO-Smith, who built the frames for Packard delivered them in a basic black frame paint. Pretty much a cheap satin black (low-gloss). Not glossy or perfect. Remember, these were not show cars when new. The paint was for basic rust protection, not show.

Any texture you may seen could have been from undercoating that was common in the snow belt areas.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 23:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
Thanks Kev.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 23:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
As Kev says, a satin black was the norm. I tend to favour a 2-pak because it will last longer and resist stone chips etc. Easy to apply for a full frame-off resto, you have easy access to all areas.

The POR black is single pak, and is very tough and resistant to things like gas, ATF and even brake fluid, and can be brushed on IF you don't have the gear to spray a 2-pak. But you have to overcoat it with the POR Chassis Coat because the POR Black is very high gloss (- and it is also expensive but a small tin goes a long way and is hard as nails). Spraying any other satin 2-pak black would be cheaper but caution about the safety aspects as the hardener is typically harmful to health.

By the way, Packard did provide an option for customers to have the chassis painted some colour other than black, but I believe that was in earlier years, and that option had been phased out before 1952.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 7:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I can recommend Van Sickle Tractor, Equipment and Industrial Enamel. There is a hardener available for it. It sprays nice, is very tough and is quite inexpensive. You want satin black. It is available at Tractor Supply and I also found it at an independent farm & feed store.

Posted on: 2016/4/21 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Hello all. I am presently using, after many different experiments, the paint supplied by John Deere. It is reduced 10/1 for spraying, and I believe it to be the best solution yet. Good luck

Posted on: 2016/4/22 8:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
eastwood satin chassis black.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 8:22
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved