Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

V8 Differential Tags
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
I was under my Caribbean today and found these tags on the differential interesting. Two stamped tags one on each side. One is stamped 46 over 13 and the other is stamped 45C. Anyone know the significance of these differential tags?

Thanks,
Robert.

Edit: The 46/13 matches the 3.54:1 gear ratio.

Attach file:

jpg  (126.87 KB)
251_491600d218d6f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (155.80 KB)
251_491600e4ac90c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (105.92 KB)
251_491600ee2aecf.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/11/8 16:13
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Differential Tags
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my rear end doesn't look like that at all. the pumpkin cover does not come off on mine. it is welded from the factory. the front of the differ unbolts as one solid unit. it is weird.

good look at my project blog, there should be a pic of it in there somewhere....i almost wonder if it is not a Packard rearend, because the crash sheets don't show that type either.

the housing is stamped on mine with 323, which makes me think it could be a Chrysler rear end. don't know though. no tags on mine like yours either.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 16:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Thanks for your reply. Mine matches the pictures and description for the 56 senior cars in the Service manual. On page 13 I just found the explanation of the first tag:

"This tag is stamped to indicate the number of teeth in the ring and pinion assembly....a 46-13 denotes a 3.54:1 axle ratio, a 43-15 tag denotes a 2.87:1 axel ratio"

No mention of the 45C tag in the Service manual.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 16:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As to looks, 55 & earlier didn't Packard build their own and in 56 went to the Dana rear--maybe a Dana 45 series.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 16:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Robert -

Outside of a completely restored trailer queen, that's gotta be the cleanest rear axle cover I've ever seen on a car! You sure are lucky to have found two tags; I don't thinks there's even one axle tag left on any of my Packards.

At first glance, I suspected the "45C" was a model number. Then, I did a little Googling and found this page:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/Dana3.txt

...but not sure how applicable it is.

I have heard stories where some of original TT axles were later removed from these cars, but not sure what would have been put in their place. On the other hand, it could be that a previous owner, in trying to detail the car for show, installed a tag that they had but wasn't actually correct (if you get my drift).

BTW, the rear axle for 1955 was a completely different design; the differential was front-loaded, with a welded rear cover - like the 1954 and earlier models.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Brian thanks.

I believe when my car was removed from storage the rear end and brakes were gone over thoroughly so that might explain the condition. As you know, my Carib was stored in doors for the better part of twenty years so it is mostly all there. Certainly no trailer queen and I should post a picture of the rusted rockers to prove it

I appreciate the url on the google search. Very interesting data.

Best Regards,
Robert.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 17:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Studebaker referred to the Twin Traction as Salisbury manufactured. All the same company through acquisitions & name changes. Dana Gear, Dana-Spicer, Spicer Gear, Salisbury Axle and various combinations therof. Mostly used the 44 series as did any number of other mfgs. Packard used the flanged axles but Stude used tapered. That & Brian's reference to the 45 being a TT could also account for the 45C

Posted on: 2008/11/8 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
HH56 thanks for your reply.

The 45C may or may not be original to my car as Brian alluded to in his post. The previous owner had tremendous access to Surplus Studebaker inventory so that tag could have been added at some point for show. I have never seen a TT tag so that may be even more desirable.

Did all of the Caribbeans come with TT standard? I was under the impression they did.

Thanks,
Robert.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
TT was optional even on Caribbeans. Pretty inexpensive though, as I remember something like $40 or thereabouts. I don't know if they were particularly robust but mine was pretty beat, ramps & pins badly worn. I pulled it and replaced it with a non-TT carrier and new ring & pinion, marked Salisbury. It only had one tag on the case cover, the one with the ring and pinion teeth numbers.

EDIT: Yes, the 1955 V8 rear axles were manufactured by Packard and totally different but much the same as all the other post-war Packard rears, welded cover, guts come out from the front. A far nicer arrangement when you're setting up gear contact and backlash.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Here's the skinny on '56 Packard rear axles: Senior cars, 400, Patrician, and Caribbean, used the Dana 53 rear axle, and the Junior cars, all the Clippers, used the Dana 44. I went to the local Dana dealer when I was looking for parts for my '56 Patrician, and they told me that 1, they're not available anymore, and 2, they also used the Dana 53 in Jeeps into the '60s.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 22:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved