Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

Ozstatman, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Valve Guide Driver and Depth Gauge
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
Looks like I may need to replace the guides in my 288 that is under rebuild. Does anyone know where to find the J-2577 Driver and depth gauge?
Thanks

Posted on: 2016/4/16 11:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Valve Guide Driver and Depth Gauge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You don't need the depth gauge, just measure the deck to guide distances before removing the old guides, and note in some engines intake and exhaust are installed to different depths. I'll post pictures of the various guide drivers I've used over the years, the only commercial one is a KD-815 (2nd from left with broken tip). If you can't find a driver, easy to have one made by anyone with a lathe, the small end fits inside the guide, the middle step is larger than the bore but smaller than the guide OD so that it rests on the shoulder of the guide but can still fit thru the bore in the block. The upper diameter is whatever you find convenient as a hand-hold. I usually use a 4# hammer, an suggest you place some wood over the block in the area of the valve seat so, should you miss a blow with the hammer, you don't accidently hit the block and ruin the seat. Unless the cam and lifters have been removed, drive the guides half-way down and break off with a chisel (they are quite brittle and snap very easily) and then drive the remaining section out. Pix of suitable depth gauges shown.

When installing new guides I usually pack them in dry ice for 20 or 30 minutes first - they will drive it with very little effort.

Before starting the job, use corks or similar to plug the oil return holes in the valve chambers to any of the keepers or other debris from falling thru into the crankcase. If you're new to this type of job you might want to read "Understanding Valve Work" on The Packard Club forum.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=862

Attach file:

jpg  (144.70 KB)
177_57127f45bc332.jpg 1067X1280 px

jpg  (90.27 KB)
177_57127f621d12d.jpg 1280X1142 px

Posted on: 2016/4/16 13:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gbuchner
See User information
Thanks for the good tips.
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of removing the guides from my 1951 327 engine without measuring the installation depth.
Can anyone give me the specified installation depth for the intake valve guide and the exhaust valve guide?
Thanks!
George

Posted on: 2023/3/13 17:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
George(gbuchner),
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your 288 powered Packard in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Don't think we've previously had a member from Austria.

Posted on: 2023/3/13 18:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
You will find lots of good information and helpful tips in this thread. I measured everything as being 1" from the deck in my 327.

valve guide driver tool thread

Posted on: 2023/3/13 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I made mine out of brass..

The new guides are not are tough as originals. In the lower end. And thinner.

At least the ones I have are.

Posted on: 2023/3/13 21:12
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

gbuchner wrote:
Thanks for the good tips.
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of removing the guides from my 1951 327 engine without measuring the installation depth.
Can anyone give me the specified installation depth for the intake valve guide and the exhaust valve guide?
Thanks!
George

I suspect this is a bit late, at least I hope so , but the tops of all my valve guides are 1 1/16" down from the deck. I have a 1953 Cavalier 327. Exhaust valve guides are a little longer than intake.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
What do you guys think of these two methods of valve guide removal?

I'm working on my 1953 Cavalier engine still in the car.

https://youtu.be/Ap0GXw7rP6w

https://youtu.be/zg4_iaMuj6k

Posted on: 2023/7/25 9:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When removing guides with the cam and cam followers still in the engine, I've always simply driven them down about half way until they are just shy of contacting the lifter or tappet, and then snaping off the bottom with a chisel and light blow from a hammer, and then driven the remainder out similarly. Easy and straight-forward, no complications, done dozens and dozens of them this way.

Just exercise care as they are driven downwards that you snap them off before they contact any part of the lifter assembly!

Posted on: 2023/7/25 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
When removing guides with the cam and cam followers still in the engine, I've always simply driven them down about half way until they are just shy of contacting the lifter or tappet, and then snaping off the bottom with a chisel and light blow from a hammer, and then driven the remainder out similarly. Easy and straight-forward, no complications, done dozens and dozens of them this way.

Just exercise care as they are driven downwards that you snap them off before they contact any part of the lifter assembly!

Thanks for the feedback! I am probably over thinking this due to the lack of experience.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 11:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved