Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New Packard owner
Just popping in
Just popping in

Eric
See User information
I recently purchased a 1955 Packard. I am having problems with the brakes not working. Seems to be losing vaccuum. I looked at the manual and assume that the brakes are the easamatics which according to the book use hydraulics and vaccuum to operate the system. I'll be honest I don't have a clue when it comes to cars but I enjoy the older cars and I will learn hopefully with the help from the experts on this site.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 21:49
 Top  Print   

Re: New Packard owner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Eric wrote: I recently purchased a 1955 Packard..........

G'day Eric,

Welcome to a great Site with plenty of friendly and knowledgeable Packard people willing to share their experience and expertise.

And could you add your '55 to the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you came to acquire it please?

Again -

Posted on: 2008/11/11 22:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Eric,
First welcome to the site. Please take time to enter your new find into the "Owner Registry" on this site. Back to your brakes, I bought my first Packard last year, a 1956, and started out with a brake problem which was hard brake pedal with little stopping power. I replaced everything from hard and soft lines, wheel cylinders and shoes but had no improvements until I had the booster system rebuilt by a guy in Florida, Ed Strain. He is listed in Hemmings Motor News. Now it is a real joy driving my new Packard knowing it will stop.
Bill

Posted on: 2008/11/11 22:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are many guys out there that rebuild TreadleVacs, my experience is that Ed Strain is consistently the best.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 23:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would also suggest getting the Easamatic rebuilt --just on principle-- be the first step. If the brake actually is losing vacuum though, assuming the hoses and reserve canister in good condition, there is a check valve at the base of the carburetor in the long fitting where the vacuum hose attaches. The internal valve retainer has been seen to rust or other issues sometimes cause it to not seal completely. This would result in your feeling of no vacuum on occasion.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 0:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Welcome to the forum..one last question for me to ask..

Posted on: 2008/11/12 21:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Eric
See User information
Thanks for the welcome. I'm new to the site and I will be trying to get pictures for the registry.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 20:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Eric
See User information
I want to say thank you to HH56, Home away from home, and Rowdy. I'm amazed at the response. I may even turn into a mechanic with help like this. Thanks again guys. Once I get the brakes fixed I plan on working to get the body in mint condition. I was reading some forums on mixing oil, marvel, and road diesel. Is that something I should be considering being I just bought a car with 39,000 miles and I'm not sure what it has been through?

Posted on: 2008/11/13 20:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved