Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 178

Chuck McDonald, Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

52 Packard 300
Just popping in
Just popping in

Clyde
See User information
Hello,

I am a newbie. I have restored several Studebakers to drivers and even a Kaiser. I have always admired the Packard and I have a chance to buy a 52 Model 300 which is not runing but in fair shape. Can I get glass and other parts fairly easy ? What pitfalls should I look out for?
Any info appreciated. Thanks, Clyde

Posted on: 2008/11/15 23:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 52 Packard 300
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Clyde,
Welcome to PInfo Website. There are lots of folks on here who can help with questions. Suppliers are listed on the 'Packard Directory.'

A recent forum thread discussed another new Packard lovers search for windows. Check it out, below:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1765&forum=4&post_id=16163#forumpost16163

Use the 'Search' in the forum discussions for 'glass' or 'window.' That is what I did. There are regular members with lots of good info and advise.

Add your 52 Packard 300 to the "Owner Registry." You might find a few others there as well.

Welcome!

DanL

Posted on: 2008/11/15 23:58
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Clyde wrote: I am a newbie........and I have a chance to buy a 52 Model 300 which is not runing but in fair shape.......Clyde

G'day Clyde,

A BIG to a great Site. And as Dan said an entry in the Owner Registry when, not if, you buy the '52 would be appreciated.
Again

Posted on: 2008/11/16 0:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Almost all mechanical parts will be interchangeable or can be made to fit from 51-54 although some will have to be from a comparable wheelbase. Considerable amount of sheetmetal also will fit but chrome trim & placement is usually model-year specific. A fair amount of new is also still available.

The side glass is flat laminated safety glass and should be available through local better quality glass shops either cut to fit or perhaps already made from a warehouse. The front and back will be a bit more problem. Windshield is 51-2 only with the curved upper corners but I believe still available for a price. I think the curved corner back glass is the biggest obstacle and may have to come off a parts car.

The 51-4 are generally pretty reliable vehicles and fairly robust mechanically. I can't think of any specific things known to fail or to be on the watch for other than it's a 55 year old car with a possibly unknown history. Power brakes were first available that year and if present, unit really should be checked & rebuilt professionally. There are some on the forum who have strong thoughts on reliability (or lack therof) on the treadle vac in general and may see that as a problem area--others will point out that many mfgs used the same unit throughout the 50's without incident.

If it has an Ultramatic, just be aware that it is essentially a single speed transmission without a shift other than the torque converter locking out. Linkage adjustment is very important and is not a drag strip contender and doesn't take kindly to being treated as such. The acceleration is best described as leisurely.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If anyone needs rear glass for one of these, I have all 3 pieces that I'd be readily willing to part with, cheap.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 2:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Clyde
See User information
Thanks HH56 and Turbopacman for all the good info. I plan on going to check the car over soon. I will post my results.

have a great day,

Clyde

Posted on: 2008/11/18 19:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Clyde
See User information
Hello,

I checked the car out today. its a shame how people let cars go bad. The good is it has all the chrome and a pretty solid body.

Doesn't run but with some Marvel Oil I think it would , has AT.and all hub caps and no chrome missing. Front bumper and grill need work-chrome peeling.
Windshield and two door glasses have bullet holes. Rockers need replacing and one back door has serious rust issues. Somebody painted the car without putting primer on so the paint is peeling to bare metal. Could sand down real easy. The seats are in surprising good shape and headliner needs replacing. Is a car like this worth $800? I was thinking about $600 or $650. Its a big project to get it back to a driver but it sure woulb be a nice driver.

Clyde

Posted on: 2008/11/19 23:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds pretty close to the condition of my car when I got it. Check out my project blog for more info.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 12:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Clyde
See User information
Hi BigKev,

Cars look about the same, except you had glass. Thanks for the info.

Clyde

Posted on: 2008/11/20 17:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like your interior is in better shape. All the fabric in my car has to be replaced due to rodents and dry-rot.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 18:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved