Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 Packard help & questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Dear all,

Now I have my 55 on the road I have a few questions and issues that i need a bit of help with:

I still have to do some work on the suspension but have noticed that the rear of the car is sitting higher on one side. Is there any thing I could do to adjust the level of this so both sides sit evenly?

I also need to get a spare tire for the car, but this seems a bit tricky. From memory I think the space between the wheel nuts was 5.5" (same as 56 400) is there any other (later) makes of cars that would have used the same rims?

The final question at the moment, I am sure there will be more as time progresses, I noticed a week or so ago on ebay someone was advertising a parade boot does anyone in the U.S. still build these parade boots?

Many thanks
Mat

Posted on: 2008/11/18 7:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Packard help & questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The side to side level is taken care of by the length of link in front. See this forum for a discussion on height and a few posts later there is a link to remanufactured adjustable units for a 56 to look at.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=11771#forumpost11771

There is a difference in the link contact surface geometry between 55-6 and am not sure if anyone is making 55 repros. Maybe someone has done that research already.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
The side to side level is taken care of by the length of link in front. See this forum for a discussion on height and a few posts later there is a link to remanufactured adjustable units for a 56 to look at. (snip) There is a difference in the link contact surface geometry between 55-6 and am not sure if anyone is making 55 repros. Maybe someone has done that research already.

What I did on my 55 Pat was convert it's existing front links to adjustable:http://www.1956packardpanther.com/adjLinks.html

You could do the same, but you'll need a competent machinist.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/11/18 9:50
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think you need to read Technical Service Bulletin 55T-1 which covers this subject in some detail. You can find the bulletin on this website I believe.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You could let the air out of the tires on the high side, that'll bring it down to an even keel.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
or install bigger tires on the low side!

Posted on: 2008/11/18 19:58
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Eric and MikeC: you guys are very helpful.

I like Eric's suggestion best since the cost is $0. But that's normal for Eric.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 20:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
What can I say, I'm a cheapa$$!

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Hi Mat --

First of all, congratulations on your new (to you!) Packard! It looked from an earlier photo you posted that you and I have the same color combination on our Caribbeans. At least you're a lot closer to driving yours than I am to driving mine!

You mentioned that the question of finding a spare tire is tricky. Why not just find a nice used '55-'56 Packard wheel in the States and have it shipped over?

Regarding the parade boots, I'm not sure that Packard ever offered anything from the factory in the way of a hard fiberglass boot for the convertibles -- perhaps the Panthers and Pan Americans had hard covers for their tops, but those were integrated into the body. If anyone is offering a fiberglass boot for our cars, it's most likely an "interpretation" of what a parade boot would have been like, had they been offered by Packard. I would say that unless you're going to be volunteering frequently to carry the local beauty queens in the parades in your home town, I'd forego the ersatz 'glass and just get a nice soft boot cover.

Good luck with your own new beauty queen, and be sure to post up new pictures as you progress -- they can only inspire me to getting my car back o the road!

Best,

Kevin

Posted on: 2008/11/18 22:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

55Packardconv wrote:..........You mentioned that the question of finding a spare tire is tricky. Why not just find a nice used '55-'56 Packard wheel in the States and have it shipped over?........and be sure to post up new pictures as you progress -- they can only inspire me to getting my car back o the road!.....Kevin

Kevin,

Probably the main reason is shipping to Oz, the cost and the time it takes. I think Mat wants to get out on the road with the peace of mind of having a spare in the trunk now.

And I don't think I've asked you this, but why should you miss out! Could you please add your '55 Convertible to the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you came to acquire it?

If nothing else it'll provide company for Mat's '55 Caribbean when Mat get's it in there, as he's personally promised me! As well as his '34.

And Mat,

I promise to harass you at the PACA Christmas Lunch if they're not in the Registry by then, so you've been warned!

Posted on: 2008/11/19 1:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved