Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

chevy v8 engine swap 52 packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

dutchman
See User information
Would anyone out there know about dropping a small block chevy into my 52 packard 300? Unfortunately i can't afford to go original engine and trans in this car. I'm on disability with very limited funds, but love the old packards. If anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 10:32
 Top  Print   

Re: chevy v8 engine swap 52 packard
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a word of warning, 51-54 Packards are typically not high-dollar value cars, and once you drop in a SBC, you'll find that the value will reduce greatly (by 1/2 or more). People that like/want Packards really want them with Packard drivetrain in them. Doesn't have to be a numbers matching car or even years matching, just as long as it has the Packard name on it and 8 spark plugs in a row.

If you look around you can find 327 or even a 288 motor in running condition fairly cheap, and they are pretty easy to work on. Just something to consider.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 12:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day dutchman,
to PackardInfo and for including your '52 300 Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 17:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dutchman
See User information
Hey Kev...thanks for the input I do appreciate it brother. But so far I haven't been able to find a good 327 and the cost of rebuilding it is prohibitive in my circumstances. As far as the value, we'll I already know the car will stay in the family no matter how I build it. My goal is do the v8 conversion in a manner that will make it possible to go back to stock. I refuse to butcher up a nice car for the sake of customizing and being cool to other people. This car is just for me. The value doesn't even come into play for me. I just love packards and want to own and drive one. I understand your point of view and desire to stay original. I wish I could afford to do it.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Dutchman Quote:
Would anyone out there know about dropping a ... into a Packard

Well, one can do darn near anything, ala Jay Leno and friends if one has enough skill and $$$.

I do know a guy who put a 350CID Pontiac V-8 into a 1955 Clipper (pretty much the same as 1951-54) and it worked out well.

Do you have the SBC on hand right now and you know it's good?

Craig

Posted on: 2016/7/12 17:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dutchman
See User information
Thanks Craig, i appreciate the response. Anyway you could find out how your friend did the swap. I have a couple of ideas on how to do it. I do have an 85 small block from a friend. Still working on a tranny, debating on a 700r4 or a turbo 400.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Everybody's being really nice on a touchy subject. As I understand it, your option is a no additional cost, no rebuild needed Chevy V8 vs buying and rebuilding a 288/327.
You will, however , also have 6V/12V to deal with.

If that's right, then I see how the Chevy option becomes attractive. I'm less optimistic about how reversible this operation will be. The two drivetrains are so different in size and shape.

I'm going to make another budget suggestion. If you swap engines, don't spend the money on a correct interior - it won't be worth it.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
This is one of those deals where, if you have to ask, and if economy is a consideration, it might be best not to bother.

I have done a few engine swaps. I have a fully equipped garage with engine hoist, jacks, jack stands, welding equipment, chop saw, grinder etc. I also have a good Chev 350 and Turbo400 tranny out back in an old motorhome.

If I had to I could probably have the engine in your Packard and running in a week or so. Since I already have nearly everything and can do my own work, it might cost under $1000 out of pocket for mounts, driveshaft, new exhaust system, radiator, hoses, battery, etc etc etc.

This is a roundabout way of saying this is a harder, more expensive job than it looks.

Since 50s Packards are not that rare or expensive you might be better off buying one with a good engine and selling your old one or parting it out.

If you don't have a fully equipped shop, and were planning on paying a good mechanic to do the job, expect to pay $2000 or more if you supply the engine and trans.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

This might be the most cost-affective option: find a '55 Clipper 320 c.i. V8 to bolt in. Rebuilt or service short blocks turn up, they're in low demand, so less expensive, bolts to your Ultramatic and best of all, keeps your Packard, all Packard.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/7/13 19:20
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dutchman
See User information
You may be right on that one. I've been turning wrenches for a little over 40 years. Built several "frankenstein" Trucks over the years. Put small blocks and big blocks in 50's trucks,swapped to modern rear diffs etc. I don't have a fully equipped shop,just a carport and dirt. But have an a frame, cherry picker, etc,etc. Built volkswagen trikes from scratch, trailers,etc. Been welding for over 25 years. I have seen no 50's packards that run and are turn key in the range i can afford. Besides i want something i built not someone elses project. I am aware of the pitfalls of doing jobs like this one but quite willing to do my best to build what i want. Sorry if i come off being a bit snippy. I was just hoping someone else had done the job and could offer a bit of help and insight. Isn't that what we builders/fabricators do? I know i have offered help to other builders in the past. I understand this is a touchy subject and opinion is to keep it all packard. But at least i'm trying to keep it on the road and at least looking like an original packard. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/7/14 0:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved