Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Evans Coolant
Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Any body have any experience with Evans Coolant, good, bad. I am look into it for a daily driver not some museum piece.
Any opinions?

Posted on: 2016/11/17 13:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Evans Coolant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
These "waterless" coolants offer some heat transfer coefficient benefits but I'm sure you have to get all the water out of the system before you use it, or you'll have issues. You have to follow the directions exactly. I'd read up on it first and understand what can go wrong.
I'm not sure it's real cost effective for the benefits it gives in a classic.
I'd only try if car is having cooling issues but if due to fouling in the system may have difficulty completely removing the water associated with the rust/solids deposits. So you have a risk.
They use this mostly for race/high performance cars with a new system.

Posted on: 2016/11/18 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i plan on using it in my 37 when the block comes back from the machine shop. its been out for a good while now and left over water wont be a problem. radiator is of new construction too.

i like the idea of using it for the lack of water and vaporization in the system. the boiling point is WAY higher and in the non-pressurized system on the 37 this will have advantages.

Posted on: 2016/11/18 11:05
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
It helps when we do a cursory search via the above top right box provided on PackardInfo's home page, since most of these questions have been answered. Repeatedly.

I'd refer you to the below, from the tech info tab of www.no-rosion.com homepage. You'll have to visit this tab on their homepage to access the below overview of research results. Again, i do not work for nor own stock in No-Rosion, but we've found them to be reputable, initially producing a coolant preservative for industrial cooling towers, vastly more expensive and a harsher environment than our vintage lawn mower engines. Herewith:

Q. Should I switch to a waterless engine coolant to avoid issues with water?

A. We recommend against it. There are a number of heat transfer and performance limitations associated with waterless engine coolant that make it less than optimal. This is especially the case for older engines with non-hardened valve seats. We spent 9 months researching waterless coolant, both in the laboratory, and in a fleet of test vehicles. To view our EVANS WATERLESS COOLANT OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH RESULTS, click here

Posted on: 2016/11/18 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
su8overdrive, I did not find a link at your "click here" in the text.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/11/19 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Wes,
the link just worked for me (today SAT). Try again or type, or copy and paste the link into your search bar. I tried both ways and was able to connect. Good luck.
Steve

Posted on: 2016/11/19 13:12
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Wesley Boyer wrote:
su8overdrive, I did not find a link at your "click here" in the text.
Wes

The link apparently did not copy over when su8overdrive copied the preceding text. It can be accessed from the text near the bottom of the tech info page on the Norosion site or here is the actual article the non functioning "click here" link refers to.http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

Posted on: 2016/11/19 15:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Howard, that worked.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/11/19 20:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Thanks for the info, sound like something I should stay away from.
W

Posted on: 2016/11/21 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I gave a cursory read to this "research" study and it's by a competitor's own work. That does not mean it's conclusions are wrong or their product is better or not. It's what we called biased for selling, cause for concern. I found several obvious errors in it.
eg: Evans product is flammable with FP 225-232F.
https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=27488
That's in the combustible range, not flammable range. So it's "combustible" not flammable. {I did not check race criteria.} Could be just semantics on the part of the author but indicates a loose use of technical terms. {I did not check the values for either product.}
They did not use the viscosity at temperature for the comparison that states it's ten time higher. Viscosity generally goes down, usually non-linearly, with temperature. Dynamic, not kinematic viscosity should be used, since it's related to shear. Effects of viscosity are in the film coefficient term* and bulk resistance to flow.http://facstaff.cbu.edu/rprice/lectures/htcoeff.html Reynolds number (Re) has viscosity in denominator.http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/reynolds-number-d_237.html

They would publish the full range of results, not just the conclusions or speculation in peer reviewed work.

{I'm an independent retired chemical engineer giving free advice. I have no interest in either product or any others. I was involved in a start-up company with patented heat transfer technology. I have divested of that interest}
* - would effect nucleate boiling.http://ltcm.epfl.ch/files/content/sites/ltcm/files/shared/import/migration/COURSES/TwoPhaseFlowsAndHeatTransfer/lectures/Chapter_9.pdf

Posted on: 2016/11/21 9:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved