Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Engine very sticky
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Gents, Thanks for the caution about the cam follower arm and roller. I don't notice those on the diagram or parts list for the 1930 385. Could it be those parts are for later engines?

Posted on: 2017/5/12 12:31
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Could it be those parts are for later engines?

No.

The 385 and 320 engines had the roller cam followers and arms from the first to the very last, 1924 thru 1939. I'll enclose a pix or two for you. One thing that did change around was the substitution of forged arms to replace the early stamped steel arms. However the forged arms can also be easily bent.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.30 KB)
177_5915f9b5a2033.jpg 764X794 px

jpg  (145.87 KB)
177_5915fb62291f1.jpg 1500X1153 px

jpg  (273.09 KB)
177_5915fb6d0d098.jpg 1500X1727 px

Posted on: 2017/5/12 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
OK, thanks. Could you provide a little more detail on how to check if the valves are free? Or free them if they're stuck?

Posted on: 2017/5/12 15:45
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I'd suggest you read a good older general service manual , this problem occurs in all makes

Posted on: 2017/5/12 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Just went out and, using a small fulcrum and wide blade screwdriver, gently pressed up on the valve springs. I was able to test all valves except the two that are fully opened by the lifter, as their springs were already quite compressed. All 14 of the other valves are completely free to travel up and down.

Breathing a sigh of relief. Was a bit scared I'd really screwed something up.

As the problem is clearly not the valves, and the crank does turn, albeit with much effort, I don't know what else to conclude except the issue must be corroded piston rings. Can anyone suggest a different source of this sort of resistance?

I have 50-50 acetone/WTF in the cylinders now. I was planning on pouring a half cup or so down each cylinder everyday for a few days to compensate for any that flows past into the pan.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 16:52
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Owen D - Could the cam followers and arms be listed in the Service Parts List as camshaft rocker lever assemblies?

Posted on: 2017/5/12 16:58
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably, I haven't check the parts book for their description but you'll note the service letter excerpt called them rocker levers.

My guess is the resistance to rotating is due to rusted cylinder walls and/or piston rings. Forcing it to break free isn't going to be very kind to the internal surfaces.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I've had long stored engines where each valve will move but the overell resistance is high. On one engine it ran fine but at 40 mph it let out a clacking and I thought it had thrown a rod.. finally found a few valves were sticky and did not return fast enough thus the lifter hit the valve when the valve was going down. Pulled all valves, cleaned valves/guides with solvent, solved.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I'm not going to use the dead hammer again. I thought it might help to break the adhesion of the rings to the cylinder walls, and that's already been achieved as the engine has moved. If the ATF/acetone doesn't eventually allow me to turn the engine by hand, I guess the only alternative is to pull the pan and the head.

Owen D - Corroded rings are no doubt unkind to surfaces, yet I'm not sure how a person would get a corroded piston out of its bore without damaging the cylinder walls at least to some degree. Honing would probably be necessary afterward.

Fred - If the head comes off, the valves will get whatever treatment is needed.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 18:18
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Corroded rings are no doubt unkind to surfaces, yet I'm not sure how a person would get a corroded piston out of its bore without damaging the cylinder walls at least to some degree. Honing would probably be necessary afterward."

I'd suggest that reboring would be required, maybe even sleeving if the walls have been rebored previously or the damage is severe. If you can get away with just honing that would be great!

Posted on: 2017/5/12 20:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved