Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

classiclincoln, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Good 6v Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Would anyone like to comment on their favorite 6v batter? My old reliable NAPA Farm Equipment battery won't hold a charge any more. I'm looking first for power and reliability, not much about "period correctness."

Underhood, there isn't much of correctness, except I just bought a yet-to-be-installed NOS voltage regulator! So maybe my next correct purchase could be a battery. Maybe the battery failure is due to the old regulator?

Any thoughts, much appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/5/30 9:03
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Good 6v Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For a real heavy duty Group 4 6-volt battery very capable for the Twelves and big prewar Eights and Super Eights with under-floorboard battery boxes the Delco 4HD6V and equivalent NAPA 7210 were supreme, gobs of CCA and life up to 6-7 years or even more. Both are commercial fleet batteries and I believe the NAPA may now be superceded by a Duracell Ultra 6-volt commercial battery. Just Google NAPA 7210 and see what's out there. These batteries may be too large for some under-hood installations, you'll have to check the dimensions or Group# you need.

I've also had just excellent results with the long thin (forget the Group#) 6-volt for the 1950 and earlier Clipper-bodies cars. I had at least one last nearly 6 years.

At the risk of stating the obvious, to get good battery life of course your charging system needs to be up to snuff, you need to check the electrolyte from time to time and add distilled water as needed. And if the car is going to be inactive for a substantial period, best to remove the battery and give it a periodic charge with a trickle charger or battery tender.

What I really like about 6-volt systems is that if you're perceptive you get plentiful clues about your battery reaching the end of it's life even as it still continues to start the car and function. My experience with 12-volt batteries is they seem to go from fully functional to dead as a doornail in as little as 1 or 2 starts - no warning.

Posted on: 2017/5/30 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
For pre-war 8's I've had good luck with the following.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.09 KB)
1584_592df5d39d360.jpg 913X651 px

Posted on: 2017/5/30 17:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
55Packardguy:
Just out of curiosity, how much satisfaction have u had from any MODERN REPLACEMENT 6v parts such as or especialy bulbs and sealed beams????? Or do u have a good supply of OLD stock well known BRAND NAME 6v bulbs and regulators etc?????

Posted on: 2017/5/30 20:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I was using a 3EH-vhd from Interstate until I found it was leaking acid and eating my battery tray that I had just repaired. So I switch to a Red Top Optima battery and it works find for me. It does not have the CCA as the 3EH, but I believe it does match the stock battery.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/5/30 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
might try tractor supply-they have a good supply of 6v batteries including the long thin ones. Their prices are also pretty good.

Posted on: 2017/5/31 19:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
my 49 does have a rather new Exide 3EH wich fits pefectly

Posted on: 2017/6/1 6:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Looks like the choice for a '30 is between the Optima red-top and the NAPA 7210 replacement by Duracell. I understand the Optima is much more susceptible to damage by overcharging, and the only protection on my '30 is a simple cut-out. To deal with this issue, I guess some people adjust the generator for nighttime driving and run with the headlights on in the daytime to prevent overcharging.

Questions: How does one know if the battery is overcharging? Could this be a serious enough problem to dictate against the Optima, or can potential over-charging be reliably dealt with in some way through observation and generator/cut-out adjustment?

Posted on: 2017/8/30 15:08
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With a lead acid battery your indication of overcharging will be more frequent needs to add water to the electrolyte. I try to keep my charge rate for daytime driving to just a very few amps,I'll probably have to add water to the battery once a year, perhaps twice if an unusually high number of miles. For night driving I adjust the 3rd brush to give just a few amps over zero at road speed with the lights on.

The cutout has no role in charge rate so no adjustment there. If it really bothers you to adjust the 3rd brush a few times a year you can have your generator converted to a 2 brush configuration and then add a modern full voltage and amperage regulator such as became industry standard about 1937.

Posted on: 2017/8/30 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Thank you for this valuable info!

Posted on: 2017/8/31 16:52
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved