Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 237

Nevada56Hudson, BigKev, Test User, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New on the site/ might buy a 55
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Hello everyone my name is Ronnie and I'm new on this site and like the title says I might buy 55. 55 Clipper to be exact two-door hardtop, I should be going this weekend to take a look at it and everything checks out I will be purchasing it, it's in really rough condition but the price of it evens it out, all parts and trim plus and minus some trim parts are there and the engine in the transmission also. Can anybody give me some forethought or what I'm getting myself into with the 55 Clipper model. I read on the internet about their special suspension and I think it might be a Clipper custom . Where do you guys buy your parts? And how about the transmission is there anything swappable. I'm sure I'll have way more questions later.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 0:51
 Top  Print   

Re: New on the site/ might buy a 55
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ronnie(Whippersnapper55),
to PackardInfo, but I'll leave it to the V8 guys here to answer your questions.

However, when you buy your Packard, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 1:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks Ozstatman when I buy my Packard I'll defintnatly do that. Have a good day.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 1:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is a 55 Custom (5562 or 5567 being the first 4 digits in the vehicle number on the door jamb), it will have the Torsion Level suspension but the Clipper Deluxe and Supers had conventional springs. In late 55 TL became an option on Supers but was not available until 56 on the Deluxe when TL became more the standard across the line. Unknown how many 55 Supers might have been built with the option but probably not many.

The Twin Ultramatic was unique in it's time and is still so today. If it needs work very few people understand or are willing to work on them. It does take a good mechanic who understands the operation and uniqueness to do a decent job. Someone who does not understand or know where to look for issues with how fluid is directed to various places can waste your money or do real damage. In the L.A. area Custom Auto in Santa Ana is about the best if not only place you will find.

If you have never driven an Ultramatic, the 55 has two ranges. The triangle left of D is the old style 50-54 starts and stays in high range with no shift operation. There is one transition to direct drive as the converter locks out around 20 mph depending on throttle position. Acceleration in this range is best described as leisurely. The triangle to the right of D will start in low, shift to high, and then transition into direct drive. Aside from the very few late 54 built cars with the early version of this operation, it was essentially the first year of this transmission and there was a learning curve. If the car was serviced by a dealer the issues were for the most part sorted out but if not and the mechanic didn't have access to factory bulletins it is hard to say. At any rate, it is not a race transmission so do not treat it as such nor expect it to operate like a modern automatic.

There are several Packard vendors so finding mechanical parts are generally not a huge issue but trim items can be.

Check for the usual rust areas -- rocker panels, fenders, floors etc. The metal was fairly unprotected underneath so rust can do a real job on them if the car lived in the salt belt part of its life.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 8:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Ronnie

Welcome to this friendliest, most knowledgeable, enthusiastic, generous, helpful and civil Packard forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement here standing by to avail yourself of as you tackle every problem. A great deal of historic information is here for simply filling out your knowledge base.

There are no dumb questions. After all, these cars are all now 60+ years old but fortunately interest in, knowledge of and parts support for remains at a high level. Ask any and all questions that arise, but do a search first which because so problems have been encountered by others of the same issues, will frequently produce instant answers to the problem at hand.

To document your progress and share it with all of us, please start a project blog in that section. Not only does it make it easier to post your questions but also to find the answers later for reference. Of course, we all like to see how things are progressing too. Check out the other ongoing Project blogs for ideas as well.

Good luck with your '55 Clipper hardtop should you acquire it. Please show us what you've bought and keep us up on your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/10/12 11:51
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I can't say what you can expect when you're restoring a 1955 Clipper, but I can tell you what to expect from a Clipper in good condition.

I bought my 1955 Clipper Custom Constellation in June 2012. since I bought it I have put about 12,000 miles on it. It has a 352 cid V-8 with a Rochester 4-bbl carburetor, and true dual exhaust. It also has Packard's Twin Ultramatic transmission and full torsion-bar suspension with electric self-leveling.

The Clipper is not a muscle car, but it does have plenty of power and handles freeways with no sweat. It has power steering and power brakes, which work pretty well. I do not like the tiny, vacuum operated windshield wipers which speed up when you decelerate and slow down when you accelerate! Outside of switching to an electric system, I just had to get used to them.

The Torsion Level suspension system makes for a very good ride with comfort and good road feel. You have to keep it properly lubricated for it to work well, but that would likely be a given anyway. The self-leveler can be problematic due primarily to its wiring system, but it is fun to see it in operation.

Overall, I am very happy with my Clipper. Since it was restored in the 1980s, I have had to take care of problems that arise as restorations get older. I have rebuilt the transmission and generator, installed a new leveler motor and wiring, replaced the front bushings and motor mounts, serviced the brakes and carburetor, and changed the shocks and tires. Next month I am having the yellow re-sprayed and next year I am going to replace all of the rubber around the inside windows.

This sounds like a lot, but I don't think it is excessive considering the age of the car and its 30-year-old restoration.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 14:48
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks everyone. Well tomorrow the big day, I'm going to take a 2hour trip to go see the car in the condition it's in. If it's all structurally sound then I'll probably will be taking it home for such the great price that it is. I'll take some pictures for sure and try to post them tomorrow thank you guys have a great night.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Hello before I go get the Clipper I was going to come with four tires 5 lugs off of 65 Buick and I wanted to know if they'll fit on the Clipper the man who told me it was telling me the car told me that Clippers have a I mean Packers have a special something with the tire any input

Posted on: 2017/10/14 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the 55 still used lug bolts instead of studs and nuts. There is a prong that sticks out from the drum that fits into a hole in the wheel rim to hold the wheel and tire in position while you insert and fasten the bolts.

Don't know if the Buick bolt pattern is the same but even if it is, with that late of wheel there is a good chance the extra holes in the rim will not be present for the prong. In that case you will be unable to mount the wheel because there is no place for the prong..

Posted on: 2017/10/14 10:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If the car has been sitting undriven for a long period of time, I couldn't trust driving it until the brakes have been thoroughly checked. The first and only time I drove my 1956 Clipper Custom, they did fail causing considerable damage to the right front of the car. In any event, it sounds like a great car and one of the more desirable body styles so good luck on your purchase!

Posted on: 2017/10/14 11:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved