Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Skirt removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
I would like to remove the skirts on my 55 four hundred to replace the centers on my Packard wire wheels
I noticed that there is only one bolt at is holding the skirt and place if I remove that one both will the skirt drop down I am used to The many 1960s cars I have owned with usually have a lever that attaches to the top of the quarter panel of the wheel well
Thanks

Posted on: 2017/11/18 12:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Skirt removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Should be two bolts. Left and right side of skirt.

Posted on: 2017/11/18 12:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Thanks I will change my centers tomorrow
Regards
Mark

Posted on: 2017/11/18 12:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Thank you for the information Henry I appreciate it
Regards
Mark

Posted on: 2017/11/18 12:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most of the postwars do have only one bolt but on those that do there are round pegs on the top and opposite end of the skirt that fit into holes in the fender to hold the skirt in place. Depending on year the skirt bolts are special -- threads are standard size but the head is extra large and usually the same size as the wheel nut or bolt so a special small tool or the lug wrench could be used to remove them.

Posted on: 2017/11/18 13:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to clarify - only 1 bolt per skirt, at the rear. The front is held in place by the male dimple in the skirt which engages a hole in the dogleg of the wheel opening.

Posted on: 2017/11/18 15:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
My bad, although it's not rocket science to get them off.

Posted on: 2017/11/19 3:26
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

55packard400 wrote:
I would like to remove the skirts on my 55 four hundred to replace the centers on my Packard wire wheels
I noticed that there is only one bolt at is holding the skirt and place if I remove that one both will the skirt drop down I am used to The many 1960s cars I have owned with usually have a lever that attaches to the top of the quarter panel of the wheel well
Thanks

Yes, the skirt will (or should) drop down at the rear, ready for removal once the bolt is removed. No lever, just a single bolt and alignment pins hold each skirt. The bolt was designed in such a way as to be removed by your lug wrench that was included with each car. Same size.

Also remember that factory original center covers on factory wire wheels did not have a painted red hexagon on the center. The red was always made of 3M reflective "Scotchlite."

Posted on: 2017/11/21 22:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved