Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 113

Ozstatman, Tb, William Grosz, jwblazek, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Auto Transport Companies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I'm considering the purchase of a Packard and having it shipped about 250 miles to my home. I would like advice about the companies that do this, as I have never hired a shipper and have heard horror stories about damage to cars during loading and unloading.

This is a nice car and as it's winter with roads salted heavily, I'd prefer an enclosed trailer.

Does anyone know of a safe and reliable shipping comppany?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/16 11:50
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: Auto Transport Companies
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Yes, Reliable Carriers did a great job in transporting several vehicles to the Packard Proving Grounds this year.

https://www.reliablecarriers.com/

BTW, 250 miles is not a long trip. Maybe you should ask someone in your local Packard club with trailering experince about making a "roadtrip" of it. You might get it done a lot cheaper and have a story to tell.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 12:02
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I've had good luck with intercity lines
http://www.intercitylines.com/

Posted on: 2017/12/16 12:06
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Recommend contacting the carrier directly and not go through a broker. Usual charge is about a buck a mile for a covered transporter. Any of the major national shippers (Passport, InterCity, Reliable, etc.) should be good. Shop around for one with the scheduling that best suits your schedule. JWL

Posted on: 2017/12/16 12:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I used United Routes and had no issues. Also had a friend that used them as well and no issues.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 19:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
I had a car shipped from California to Connecticut with Thomas C. Sunday. Delivery was great with no issues.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thank you for your help. This will make it easier to get the car home in the middle of winter.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/17 6:20
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

NeedsRestoration
See User information
Quote:

RogerDetroit wrote: 250 miles is not a long trip. Maybe you should ask someone in your local Packard club - - - about making a "roadtrip" of it. You might get it done a lot cheaper and have a story to tell.

=======================================================

I couldn't disagree more. Steve has the right idea - given the amount of salt so many "snow-country" highway depts. dump on their roads.

One thing has changed over the years "for the better" - vastly superior corrosion-proofing when the cars were new. Our cars don't have that.

Even with modern corrosion proofing, cars in the snow-belt suffer horrific permanent damage - just not quite as fast. And who cares ? Arent they just throw-away cars anyway. Different situation with our Packards - we may technically "own" them, but aren't we really just "custodians"...especially, if we are as lucky as Steve who says he has a nice one !

Even ONE drive with salt sprayed all over the car is not good. Starts the corrosion process.

Best thing you can do, if you HAVE to drive a car on salted roads, is THOROUGHLY steam clean it - and I mean THOROUGHLY....after EVERY salt-infested drive. But "the cure is worse then that disease".

Well, not exactly - but the fact is, steam cleaning, meaning injecting really hot water under pressure into every part of the underside, is not good either.

Steve has the right idea - only thing wrong about his post is he didn't post us a picture !

Posted on: 2017/12/17 11:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved