Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 116

BigKev, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

timing issue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Ok guys I've Ben trying to reset timing on my 49 288.the issue I'm having is this...the pointer on harmonic balance is showing it is firing before tdc...I checked the rotor with 1 at tdc and its at around 8 o'clock to me but does point at #1 lug on cap...tried to bring timing up to 10degbtc but the engine e lugs way down..it seems i can't get enough movement out of the dist...going clockwise the vac adv line fitting hits the breather tube..I'm beggining to think I need to repositioning the distributer..suggestions?appears to be firing after top dead center with timing g light

Posted on: 2018/3/8 17:18
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Re: timing issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're explaining, but note that the position of the distributor can be adjusted within the distributor hold down bracket. Look or feel underneath the distributor body and you'll find the adjustment.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 19:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
I know that...please understand..this is not the first time I've timed an engine...with a timing light it is showing after tdc on the scale...car runs ok here.it is far away from spec is what I was trying to say...engine will not run when I try to turn dist to spec...just wondering why it would b so far off...its actually after tdc...trying to get to 10 Degrees btdc. engine lugs so bad it went run.with engine off and nunumber1 at tdc...rotor points to the area of 7oclock but closer to 8 but does point to number 1plug wire on cap..do i need to reposition dist in block to get to 10...won't run there just by turning base ccw...thanks

Posted on: 2018/3/8 20:08
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Timing chain skip a tooth or very loose?

Posted on: 2018/3/9 9:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
How long has it been since you tuned the engine and it ran correctly?
What has been done to the engine prior to this attempt to tune it?
Was the distributor removed from the engine?

Posted on: 2018/3/9 9:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Have you checked that at TDC (checking the piston) and the TDC mark on the balancer agree with each other? I've had the balancer ring slip on some other cars.

Posted on: 2018/3/9 10:58
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
This is the first attempt for me to mess with timing.previous post I said with 1 at tdc the rotor points to 7 o clock.with engine running the pointer at balancer shows after tdc..nowhere near spec...I think u may b right the balancer outer ring has slipped.as far as has the disributer been out...I don't know that

Posted on: 2018/3/9 12:37
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
I don't think so...have not got that far...engine runs good...just fighting miss on number 1

Posted on: 2018/3/9 12:39
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The distributor can be installed in only one of two ways 180 degrees from one another but if the oil pump where the gear is has been removed, that's where the drive gear is so perhaps it's off by a notch.

Posted on: 2018/3/9 15:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
im going to pose this question in relation to previous post: # 1 cylinder on my 49 288 appears to not be getting fuel.no reaction from engine by removing plug wire but has good spark.compression test inconclusive due to cheap equipmentbut was able to get 95 on one try.new head gasket and intake gasket,,no vaccum leaks noted..can a miss adjusted valve cause the no fuel condition?i know it could be a seat or the valve itself,it all looked good with the head off and seats were cleaned.i know I need more conclusive testing but humor me...car runs good at speed missing at idle...I am getting ready to really check the adjustment on the valves but they are pretty quiet..just looking for more suggestions.thank u!

Posted on: 2018/3/12 12:37
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved