Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 136

DAYCOREP, 37Blanche, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear antenna pictres
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello all
If anyone can send me some close up photos of the rear antennas
It would be appreciated interested to see the antenna bases
Also if possible distance from center of antenna to end of taillights
Any help is always appreciated
Thanks

Posted on: 2018/6/5 12:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear antenna pictres
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Hope these help. This is from an unrestored car in the Kanter Collection. It was 7" from center to the end of the 1/4 panel.

Thanks
James

Attach file:

jpg  (130.48 KB)
4769_5b16e198395ac.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2018/6/5 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Additional photo. Please let me know if you need and others.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Attach file:

jpg  (127.60 KB)
4769_5b16e210ebef2.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2018/6/5 14:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear antenna pictures
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello James
Thanks for the great photos and the measurements it will definitely help
My concern is the non factory antennas have a flat base
And the 55 rear quarter peak I believe I may have to modify the antenna bases with a small v shaped cutout so it sits level on the top of he fender
As there is no trim piece like a Caribbean to mount base on
Regards and thanks
Mark

Posted on: 2018/6/6 7:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Randy mentioned in your other thread, he has the factory rear antenna install instructions and once he has a chance to copy and post them it might answer some of your questions.

As I recall the non Caribbean rear antennas only had chrome nuts and rubber pads or grommets at the rear. The rubber compresses slightly to form to the shape of the fender so don't believe anything else is needed to be a special shape to account for the crown. Under the fender there is a sort of toothed ridge on the antenna body that digs into the fender to provide a good ground and something for the nut to tighten against. The bottom end of the antenna has a sheetmetal bracket below the motor which screws into the trunk floor to prevent vibration and keep the angle consistent.

IIRC, someone had repro'd the chrome nuts a few years ago and they might still be available. Not having the factory antennas, they might not be much use as I doubt they would fit on any aftermarket brands. Steele repro's the rubber for the factory installs but again they may not fit an aftermarket nut. I could be wrong but don't believe both rubber pieces he has are used together. One may be for the nut only and the other for use with the Caribbean side piece.https://www.steelerubber.com/search?q=32-0390-21

Posted on: 2018/6/6 11:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
HH56 wrote:
Quote:
As I recall the non Caribbean rear antennas only had chrome nuts and rubber pads or grommets at the rear.

No, the 'factory-approved' rear electric antennas that were directly mounted on the top of the rear fenders (both Jr. and Sr. Models) had a spacer (insulator) - though NOT the same as used for front fender mounting - that went between the antenna dome nut and fender. This particular spacer was not only contoured to match the crown of the rear fender, but also gave the antenna the desired angle. It did sit atop a pad/grommet (seal).

No images are available in the parts book or shop manual, but the details are listed in the Acessories section of the 55-56 parts book - see p. 287.

I look forward to seeing what documentation Randy comes up with.

Posted on: 2018/6/7 7:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

55packard400 wrote:
Hello all
If anyone can send me some close up photos of the rear antennas
It would be appreciated interested to see the antenna bases
Also if possible distance from center of antenna to end of taillights
Any help is always appreciated
Thanks

Factory (and dealer-installed) twin rear antenna masts for non-Caribbeans were the same as used on the Caribbeans for 1955-56...HOWEVER, the fender-top mountings were different. On the outside since there was no chrome piece trim, this space was taken up by a rubber seal on the hole opening topped with a Bakelite cone spacer capped with the usual metal bezel. A special spanner wrench (similar to those used on bicycle rear hubs) was used to install the metal bezel (the spanner wrench fit in the little hole in the side of the bezel to turn it).

And yes, this Bakelite spacer was unique to non-Caribbean twin rear antennae. I used to have several of these sitting around but they were all stolen when I was robbed in 2001. Thus I have no photos to share.

By the way, the masts on these rear-mounted power antennae for both Caribbean and non-Caribbean were very different from the single front fender-mounted antenna. Rear-mounted masts had one pressed ring on the lower mast section of Caribbeans and factory/dealer units. Front-mounted units had two rings pressed into the lower mast section. You can always tell if someone in recent years has been playing games with rear antennae masts if you see one with two rings on the lower mast section.

Also the "rack-rope" (nylon internal push/pull element inside the mast) for rear antenna masts was round and in a round retractor housing. Front antennas had a flat nylon "rack-rope" in a rather oval-shaped housing some with a metal tube..

Rear antennae had an angle-mounted internal positioner/retainer that fit up against the inside of the body with a flat metal base mount with a tab end bent at about 45 degrees. This attached to the floor of the trunk compartment. Not a whole lot in common between front and rear Packard power antennae for 1955-56.

Posted on: 2018/6/7 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

jfrom@kanter wrote:
Additional photo. Please let me know if you need and others.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Awwwww! C'monnnn now! Don't tease with this snippet pic of this unusual Corsican Black/Naples Orange Caribbean! Let's see the rest of this interesting car!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2018/6/7 7:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Leeedy, I haven't seen it recently but here's my snapshot from a few years ago.

Attach file:

jpg  (138.25 KB)
177_5b193d778e062.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2018/6/7 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
No, the 'factory-approved' rear electric antennas that were directly mounted on the top of the rear fenders (both Jr. and Sr. Models) had a spacer (insulator) - though NOT the same as used for front fender mounting - that went between the antenna dome nut and fender. This particular spacer was not only contoured to match the crown of the rear fender, but also gave the antenna the desired angle. It did sit atop a pad/grommet (seal).

Absolutely correct and I apologize for not remembering to include the spacer. Was too caught up in trying to remember the nut and where I saw some for sale a few years back. Might have been Kepich in which case probably NLA.

Lavine has the spacers but again probably not going to work with aftermarket antennas.https://classiccarreproductions.com/product/antenna-mount-rear-1955-56/

Posted on: 2018/6/7 9:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved