Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

Caribbeandude, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fires in Australia
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was just looking at an article on CNN saying there were numerous fires in Southeast Australia in the bush but also around Victoria and Melbourne & 25 so far had been killed. Then it went on to say that people around Sydney are being asked to stay indoors because of smoke. Are the fires close to any of the regulars on the forum? I thought the area of fires was a fair bit away from Sydney & population. Mal, you've mentioned several times a jaunt of 60-100 or so miles to pick up something. Everyone & their Packards safe?

Posted on: 2009/2/7 18:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Fires in Australia
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,

Thanks for your concern but as far as I know nobody in the Packard community has suffered.

The fires where people are being killed are generally in Victoria to the south of our state of New South Wales and are in rural communities. That being said, the day before yesterday there was a deliberately lit fire in Sydney which threatened houses in an urban area. Sydney has a lot of bushland much of it National Parks with housing surrounding and amongst it.

BTW Wades had his original '34 body destroyed by a bushfire a few years ago when Sydney was ringed by fires. And with temps forecast for 44C today it's real bushfire weather.

I'll check with fellow Packard club members in an hour or so at the Annual General Meeting being held today. Luckily for me it's only 3 miles away so it'll be just a light run for the '41.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 19:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mal, keep us posted. Just saw the report this morning and much worse than yesterdays. And I thought we had interesting weather with cold and blizzards in half of country & hot and drought in others, whereas you folks in Australia seem to have hot and drought in south to flooding and watch out for crocodiles coming into the house in the north.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Wow! 44C is 111 Fahrenheit...stay safe.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 11:40
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Last report at 3 30 am....93 dead. 700000 acres consumed.....25 fires still going. Hope the weather breaks today.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 13:31
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard etal,

Now, 8:00am Monday, over 100 confirmed dead and 31 fires still burning in Victoria and over 50 fires still burning in New South Wales. Now they are mainly mopping up and trying to contain the fires. Weather has changed with the hot northerly winds replaced by cooler southerlies and a 20C temp differential from yesterdays 44C.

Although we have some extremes with fires, droughts, floods and crocodiles your recent weather, from Kev's report of the PI meet with 85F temps contrasts with other areas of the US where winter is still holding sway.

John,

Notice your post makes note of 3:30am, is Appin under threat by fire or couldn't you sleep?

Posted on: 2009/2/8 16:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
No, the 3:30 was the time of the news report not the time I posted.

I am pretty surrounded by bushland but no fires near here.

I was in Canberra for that one, that was enough. Don't want to see another up close.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 17:01
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved