Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 156

Packard Don, Todd W. White, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1935 HEADLIGHT EXPLODED VIEW
Just popping in
Just popping in

myronw
See User information
Hi Craig,

I had the same problem with my headlights. The rubber o-ring type gasket is just a shade too small to stay in the groove that the original cork gasket was in. Since I never plan to drive mine much, and especially not in foul weather, I took a chance and put them together without any gasket.

Good luck with your project,

Myron

Posted on: 2009/2/19 0:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

craig clawson
See User information
I did as you did, assembled them with no gasket at this time.
the project is coming along quite nicely. still waiting on window scrubs for the doors, then I can assemble them.
had trouble finding the rear window retainer ring. had to gently remove one from a parts car and in the process of repairing that at this time. so all the glass with be in.
repairing bad wood at the bottom where the running boards attach to the body. thats a job by its self.
waiting on the restored dash, so i can begin installing all of that. waiting on new steering wheel so i can finish the steering.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 2:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're reluctant to cut cork for the headlight gaskets, MSC in Harrisburg (google MSC) has black foam rubber sheeting in a large variety of thicknesses and density, and it's a lot easier to cut that cork. You really want the gasket not only to seal the unit but to cushion the glass lenses.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 10:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I agree with O-D, highly recommending some cushioning between the reflector and the glass. (and the trim ring, a couple clear silicone dots, just to be sure...are you using the original clips?...) There was a reason for this in the design, no doubt, but more to the current day, simply price a replacement glass lens and you will immediately appreciate my jumping in. One more thing you may already have figured out, but worth mentioning for others, the brass screw at the bottom is VERY special, and is Left Hand Thread.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 11:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to the foam sheeting, some rubber cord stock available in round, square, or x shaped might be a possibility to make your own "O" rings with a better fit.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber/=q90v3

If it doesn't come up to item, do a search for cord stock and select o ring stock

Posted on: 2009/2/23 12:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As my 34 sees quite a bit of driving, I've always worried about the headlight lenses, they are different than 33 which used Depress Beam (34 is Solar), and different than 35 and up. And of course right and left are different. Also the Eight was different from the Super and Twelve so as you might guess, these are hard to come by should one break. GOOD LUCK finding one. And they have not been reprod in plastic as many lenses have. Mine are retained with "W" clips which are thankfully still available. So I take considerable care when removing them to polish the reflectors that the glass is well-seated and cushioned.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 12:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved