Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

Alvin14, packardbill, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Dealership and Motor Number
Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy Heldenbrand
See User information
I recently purchased a 1947 2112 Clipper Deluxe. The VIN plate shows that it was purchased 2-26-47 at Combs Garage in Sherbrooke, Quebec (I'm in the Panhandle of Florida). The dealership list shows Dufferin Motors as a dealer there...I called the Dufferin Tire Co. (who have been in business since 1947) and they said that they never were a Packard Dealer. Does anyone have any information about Coombs Garage?
Also I could not find the engine number in the normal place along side the upper driver's side of the engine block. I did find two sets of numbers on the lower portion of block. On the driver's side below the starter is 10 21 46; which I presume is the year/date of the manufacture of the motor. On the passenger's side bottom near the bell housing is: 10 21 46 and below that is 373884. I am wondering is that this a 282 c. in. motor and was it a replacement engine or an original engine?
Thanks for any help.

Posted on: 2020/12/12 11:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Dealership and Motor Number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 1947 21st series 2112 Deluxe Clipper would have the 282 which was the last year for that engine in a passenger car before the introduction of the 288 in the 48 22nd series models. The 47 Super and Custom models used the 356 which lasted thru 50.

It could be a service engine and there are some reports of dealers not stamping the numbers on those replacements. The date and number you mention are the casting date and a mostly not useful part or ID number assigned to the unmachined block. After machining they got the official part numbers as listed in the parts manuals.

Even on factory stamped engines, a few have found numbers near the distributor so there is a chance the engine number was stamped very faintly outside the designated area somewhere on the rough block. If so, with the roughness of the casting plus dirt and grease probably doing a good job of hiding the numbers they may be very hard to find. Some have managed with a good engine cleaner and wire brush scrub to bring them out but others have not been as lucky.

If you do not have the Packard engine serial number list available in the literature section,https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/PackardEngineSerials.pdf here are the photos showing the proper locations. I would search a good 6 inches on either side and down from that spot.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.14 KB)
209_5fd4f428b855b.jpg 1920X741 px

Posted on: 2020/12/12 11:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Randy Heldenbrand,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '47 Deluxe Clipper Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/12/12 14:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy Heldenbrand
See User information
Thanks, I'll look again in that location. I forgot to mention that the head has stamped PACKARD with HC next to it. Is that for Hight Compression?

Posted on: 2020/12/12 16:42
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy Heldenbrand
See User information
I tried to submit info about my Packard and after I did submit it and page came up "Re-Submit" ? Not sure if it went to your info page.

Posted on: 2020/12/12 16:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Randy Heldenbrand wrote:...the head has stamped PACKARD with HC next to it. Is that for Hight Compression?

In a word, Yes.

Randy, your '47 Deluxe Clipper Eight Touring Sedan is IN the Registry, Did you try to include a photo with it? That might have prompted the message you're referring to?

Regarding the Engine Number, '47 282's are in the range F320001 - F399999. Is there an "F" prefix, however faint, together with the number quoted of 373884?

Posted on: 2020/12/12 19:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy Heldenbrand
See User information
I forgot to add a picture of it to the post. I'll try to add one in a few minutes. I know where the number is supposed to be on the motor; but, there is nothing there and it is smooth and clean in that area. The only thing I can find that is close to an original number is the one I quoted on the passenger side on the bottom in the back section near the bell housing. I didn't see a F in from of the numbers...but I need to get down underneath it to be sure. My main issue is that I want to be sure it is a 282 so when I order parts I don't get the wrong stuff. It probably is a 282 since it is a Clipper Deluxe for sure with 120 inch wheel base.

Posted on: 2020/12/13 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're looking to confirm, the 282 has a smaller bore and hence smaller bore center dimensions. So the block and head will be a bit shorter than a 288. Others can provide one or both dimensions for you to check against.

Motor number on my 282 was down by the distributor.

The 6-digit number you saw near the casting date was almost certainly a casting number, not directly translatable to a part number.

Posted on: 2020/12/13 17:57
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy Heldenbrand
See User information
Thanks for your help! I tried a little harder this time and now I see a few numbers to the right of the coil wire holder. Unlike the engine photos in the 1941-47 Parts Book...my oil filter is on the right side of the distributor instead of in front of the oil filler tube. I will try cleaning the engine off and/or removing the oil filter canister so I can get a better look at it.

Posted on: 2020/12/14 17:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved