Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 189

kevinpackard, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Lubriplate equivalent needed.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
equivalent to lubriplate No.110 for the brakes that i can get at autozone.

i know i can get the lubriplate No.110 off the internet, but i wondered if there was a equivalent on the shelf at the local autoparts like autozone or oreily's.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:19
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: Lubriplate equivalent needed.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
apparently i just need to do a search on autozone before i post. i will just leave this post incase someone else finds it useful or you guys don't agree that the picture posted with this is a proper lubricant.

later,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (11.71 KB)
491_49b1e8829b5cf.jpg 300X300 px

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:22
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Get the ceramic stuff from Napa. It's purple and comes in small clear pouches. 2 or 3 pouches should be enough for the entire car. Thats what I used on my brakes.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
no napas around here....only autozone and oreilys...napa is farther away, way farther.

what is the performance benefit from the ceramic, never heard of it? the stuff that was on there before was a thick yellowish stuff.

i have used CRC on my z3 with good results. i was just amazed that they still made the lubriplate after all these years. it mentions it by name in the service manual...it would be pretty cool to reuse it like the guys did 50 plus years ago, but by the time i ship it i can get it for the same price locally in an equivalent.

thanks for the input dude,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:36
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Some GM dealers still carry the original Lubriplate grease in 14 oz. cans, but with GM labelling - P/N 1052196.

This is the same stuff that my dad had in the old silver Lubriplate can at home for decades. Great for lubricating the adjuster screw threads as well as all points of contact for the shoes.

I've also used it to lube parking brake cables, but a second set of hands helps. With the cable disconnected, pull it out as far as you can; if it comes completely out, you'll need to replace it. Butter the cable up. Have your helper pull the other end, then you pull; continue back-n-forth, that way, to work the grease back into the sheath. Reapply grease as needed. Repeat with the other end, then the other cable(s).

Posted on: 2009/3/13 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are also lots of generic equivalents to Lubriplate, I've a can sold by Pennzoil. But for most if not all applications that used Lubriplate you'll find CRC's Sta-Lube SL3303 much superior. It's a graphited moly-disulfide grease with telflon and is highly recommended for cable/conduit applications like the mechanical brake cables on earlier Packards, brake backing plates, etc. Often found at NAPA stores.

PS - based on a rather primitive chemical analysis, the SL-3303 is the closest I've found to the original "special" lubricant used in the planetary TL gear box and that's what I've used in the half-dozen or that I had and sold off after cleaning and checking.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 8:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i went with the CRC part from Autozone, worked great! ;o)

Posted on: 2009/3/13 9:53
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is what the purple ceramic Napa stuff looks like:

Attach file:

jpg  (38.75 KB)
1_49bb149c2ef9d.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/3/13 21:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
the only thing i think needs to be added is the fact that lubricants have improved drasticly over the years. i wouldn't want to re-lube my tl gearbox with the oe type stuff. every 56 i have ever gotten a hold of was locked up due to the lube being to thick. and a member of m.a.p. is a former packard employee who mixes his own lube. and after listening to his imput in the matter i'll be mixing my own also.

Posted on: 2009/3/14 19:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are there any modern products available in the regular auto stores that have a good shelf life -in and out of container? I am thinking about general purpose lube used on our cars where there may be long periods of inactivity.

My own car is a good example. I noticed the other day that grease from 10 yrs ago on window lift mechanism was almost useless. Might as well have assembled it without anything for all the good it was doing--other than kept it from rusting, it had dried out & gotten gummy or even sticky. Believe that was called white lithium grease or maybe essentially same as lubriplate.

Posted on: 2009/3/14 19:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved