Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

dash removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
On my 1940 110 I need to take the dash off or swing it down to replace some dash glass.

There seems to be only two screws at the bottom, but I must be missing a screw or bolt somewhere as it won't swing down.

Any hints?

Posted on: 2009/3/8 21:03
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: dash removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
I am not "hands on" with a '40, but here is hte usual deal. If you remove the windshield mouldings, you will probably find a series of screws across the top of the dash. There are also screws on each end of the bottom side of the dash.
It seems to me that the screws along the bottom are "bolts", meaning there are nuts on the underside of the dash.

You can see a rear view of the gauges for a '38 here, four bolts at the bottom, 2 studs near the top:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220372149005&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem=

Posted on: 2009/3/8 23:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Thanks Faust,I didn't want to force it.

Yes, you are right the "screws" on the bottom unfortunately did have nuts on them. I have visions of getting them back in.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 0:18
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Beltfed
See User information
There is a "trick" to getting behind the instrument gauges if you choose to use it. The panel in my '39 110 that holds my speedo looks like the gove box in reverse. I believe this was to make manufacture easier for right hand steers. The panel even has the mounting holes for the swing down hinges for the glove box. I braded hinges to this panel, got them at Home Depot for a buck, and made the opening latch from a spare gove box latch. The hole for the dash dimmer is the one they used for the right hand steer. Now if I need to replace a dash lamp or service a wire, I push the latch and I'm in.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 8:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
I have found that the secret for removing under dash nuts and bolts is a battery powered drill and a "flexible" extension. By this I mean flexible through its entire length.

Although I think I paid a lot less, here is the "true value" version. I also recommend "deep" sockets.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-2322/Detail

As long as you can contort yourself to see it, this will usually do it.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 11:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Beltfed wrote:........in my '39 110........

G'day Beltfed,
See you've posted a number of times before, so a belated to PackardInfo. And an invitation to include your '39 110 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 14:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved