Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

pmhowe, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wheel prep for tubeless tires?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hello all!

I've got some Diamond Back tires comin' for the 53 Convertible. I talked to a gentleman at a car show recently who owns a 48 Chrysler. He installed some tubeless tires not too long ago and had some advice for me.

He said he has a super slow leak between the two wheel halves where they're welded together on one of his wheels. He stated that many manufactures back then didn't care about making the rims air tight because they all had tubes in 'em.

He suggested I have the welded wheel seems covered in a sealant of some sort, prior to mounting the new tires, just in case.

What do you guys think? Is this necessary?

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/21 12:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Wheel prep for tubeless tires?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
Yes, if they leak you will need a sealant of some kind. But most of the time it's not an issue. Some people like to go over any rivet holes or seams before mounting the new tires. If you have the tires dismounted it would be a good preventive measure.

Posted on: 2021/6/21 12:45
Alberta - Canada
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

Mechagon wrote:
Yes, if they leak you will need a sealant of some kind. But most of the time it's not an issue. Some people like to go over any rivet holes or seams before mounting the new tires. If you have the tires dismounted it would be a good preventive measure.

Thanks Mechagon. Is the tire place likely to have the proper sealant for situations like this? Or should I try to find something ahead of time?

Thank you,

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/21 14:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
What type of sealant would be recommended?

Posted on: 2021/6/21 14:37
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
I'm sure the tire shop has proper sealants, but I most often see it done with epoxy based paints or compounds like JB weld. Only an extremely thin, smooth application is needed-in 9/10 cases the original steel rim is sufficiently airtight to not require sealant.

Posted on: 2021/6/21 15:46
Alberta - Canada
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I ended up wire wheeling my rims, then cleaned and primed with epoxy. I sprayed the inside face and areas the tires sit with black epoxy spray paint. Haven't had any leaks so far with my new Diamondbacks, so I'm assuming the epoxy primer did the trick.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/6/21 18:20
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Awesome! Thank you guys so much!

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/22 10:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think '53 is far enough along to be totally welded. This was mostly a case of riveted wheels, which would've been the case in '48.
Doesn't hurt to protect steel from corrosion in any case.
All else fails put a tube in.

Posted on: 2021/6/22 19:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
My inclination would be: silicone caulk. I've used and misused it to seal all manner of leaky bits off and on for the last 40 years. Contrary to rumor, it doesn't bond the parts, but it will make them a bit more difficult to take apart should that become necessary, like on those threads that just won't seal.

If it's water-tight, it's air-tight, too.

Posted on: 2021/6/23 5:33
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
" Phil Swift here" Spray on Flex Seal

Posted on: 2021/6/23 5:54
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved