Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 38

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Starter Switch Bezel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
The starter (ignition) switch popped out of the dashboard and looking at the bezel it appears to not have anything to really hold it into place. There are little nubs where it looks like something more substantial should exist to lock into place. BTW, speaking of substantial, the spring behind it looks to be overkill.

Am I correct? If so, I assume a new bezel is needed. Anyone have an extra to sell?

Attach file:

jpg  StarterBezel.JPG (155.21 KB)
2367_60fcb1ba0e47c.jpg 1024X1023 px

Posted on: 2021/7/24 19:29
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Starter Switch Bezel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your bezel suffers from the broken ear syndrome that is becoming increasingly common these days and in its current state is unusable. You will need to find another in better condition. NOS are starting to be extinct and even good used are getting scarce and starting to be expensive.

A few years ago I devised a repair kit for the broken ears and gave a few kits away. They did the job but were tedious to make and a bit fussy to install. I made a couple of versions but lost interest in the project and never pursued making some more needed changes. Don't have the eyesight or interest in working on them anymore.

If anyone wants to make something to replace the broken hooks so the scarce bezels can be reused instead of thrown away be my guest because I seriously doubt any new bezels will be produced anytime soon.

Attach file:

jpeg  good bezel.jpeg (18.93 KB)
209_60fcbe3b1ff8d.jpeg 494X408 px
pdf new bezel inst redu.pdf Size: 711.95 KB; Hits: 97

Posted on: 2021/7/24 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Has to be a way to add metal to make another catch..

Posted on: 2021/7/24 23:51
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanddoc
See User information
Pot metal, what can we say.
Although there are low temp brazing rod
for pot metal, to fill holes and such.
I don't think you could repair the catch
as there is no strength in such a small area
How about a piece of copper tube if you could
get a size that would slide inside the barrel
or even if you could slide a piece outside the barrel
then file a notch in it.
just a thought

Posted on: 2021/7/25 7:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Download and read the PDF from the link at the end of Howard's post and you'll see that he took just such an approach, with a piece of copper tube.

Posted on: 2021/7/25 8:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
Download and read the PDF from the link at the end of Howard's post and you'll see that he took just such an approach.

I made and gave away 8 or 10 kits to people who posted that their bezels had broken and offered to try the repair. Didn't get any feedback so no idea how many actually tried the kit or had difficulty installing it or just found another bezel. Now that photos of one repair method are posted maybe someone could have a better solution.

The ign switch has a relatively close fit inside the bezel and there is no room for a ring strong enough to withstand the spring pressure to go inside. Because of the close tolerance with the hole in the dash there is no room for anything to be permanently attached on the outside and then get the bezel back into position.

The ring I made goes over the outside and clips to the bezel after the bezel is positioned back in the dash. The ring holds metal blocks that with their thickness works out to the finished ID equaling approximately the thickness and ID of the bezel. The blocks slide inside the bezel filling the space where the hooks used to be.

Cutting, notching, holding and soldering the tiny blocks to the ring at the proper spot is the tedious part with my approach. If someone could come up with a better or faster way to do that part and then if some kind of easy to install ready made clip in a size that could hold the ring to the bezel could be found making or assembling a kit to fix the broken hooks would be fairly easy -- although still a fussy install because of the drilling and needing to work behind the dash.

Attach file:

jpeg  kit installed.jpeg (109.96 KB)
209_60fd6d7c56020.jpeg 982X1011 px

Posted on: 2021/7/25 9:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I ended up buying both an NOS bezel and a used one that was starting to show signs of movement on one of the tabs. The latter is in the car now.

Using the NOS as a sample, I actually looked into getting it reproduced in stainless using CNC from a solid piece but didn’t pursue the project due to lack of time and moving farther away from the shop I used for other things.

Posted on: 2021/7/25 11:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanddoc
See User information
Now that is funny that we both came up
with the same Idea.
BTW Im in Torrance Ca
looks like he did a good job.
Of course anything can be made. Every part
on a car or anything starts with a Pattern maker
just time, money
The cost of the SS would be hight
but a CNC could make those
Best

Posted on: 2021/7/25 12:09
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
What about 3D printing the piece, or silicone molds to recast it?

Posted on: 2021/7/25 12:29
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

cortes121 wrote:
What about 3D printing the piece, or silicone molds to recast it?

I tried the silicone with both plastic and a low melting temp metal but with gravity casting the ring thickness and detail needed with the notch on the blocks is in too small a space to completely fill consistently without air entrapment. Maybe a pressure injection would work but I didn't have that capability.

As to the 3D printing, that might be a very good option. I am not sure what is available in plastic that would be strong enough so would probably need to be done in metal. It would take finding a facility that has the equipment and willing to do a relatively small quantity. An initial outlay of time and $$ to get a cad program built would be needed but after that it should be a relatively inexpensive and painless production. Finding a facility or individual with equipment and willing to do it might be the hardest part.

Posted on: 2021/7/25 12:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved