Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

John Wogec, winger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 »

Re: hph's 55 Clipper Project
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packardbill
See User information
If the drums are not heat checked, cracked, or scored, I would probably not have them cut. You should measure them though, to see of they are already beyond usable limit. If you do have them cut, the proper thing to do is have the shoes "arced" to fit the drum, so when they are adjusted up you have proper shoe to drum contact. You might have some difficulty finding a shop that can "arc" the shoes. Only us old bastards used to do that.
Also, "primary brake shoe" (short) goes to the front, or the main rotation of the wheel. If the main rotation was reverse, the "primary", or short shoe would go to the rear. Unless, of course, you are working on a Chrysler with upper and lower wheel cylinders, then both shoes would be the same. Good luck.PB

p.s. check your upper and lower pins and bushings as well as kingpins and bushings, while you have the wheels off.

Posted on: 4/15 12:12
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

packardbill wrote:

p.s. check your upper and lower pins and bushings as well as kingpins and bushings, while you have the wheels off.

What and how should I check on these? I know some description is in the steering section.

For what it's worth the steering wheel spins over fine and there is little play in the steering system. Gotta wrestle the tire back and forth to feel the play.

Obviously planning on greasing everything.

Posted on: 4/15 12:31
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
When I asked shops around me about arcing the shoes, they looked at me like I was from outer space. Nobody had a clue of what I was asking for. So I put the shoes and drums on and left it at that. As far as I know they are working fine.

I'm also curious about how to check kingpins. Bushings I would assume look for wear or cracking in the rubber. But these old cars are different from newer ones that I'm used to.

-Kevin

Posted on: 4/15 15:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For me if you jack up the car on that side with the tire still on, grab the tire and try to rock it side to side. Also in and out from top to bottom. That will help show any play in the front suspension parts. It it rock in and out, that is usually kingpins. It it rocks side to side, that's probably top or bottom support pins.

Posted on: 4/15 16:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks. Will heed that advice.

I assume it is correct to use a copper washer between the brake hose and wheel cylinder?

Posted on: 4/17 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I did on all mine. The hoses I bought came with new ones.

Posted on: 4/17 16:01
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packardbill
See User information
Here is a short vid about brake shoe arcing. That's how we did drum brake jobs through the 70's. You got full shoe contact with the drum and didn't have to wait for the shoes to wear in. It was most important when cutting the drum oversized. With the advent of disc brakes on the front axle and drums on the rear, it became less important, mostly because braking imbalance would be felt more in the steering wheel and sometimes you could not adjust it out. You would have to wait for the shoes to wear in.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ZF200ZSVs

Posted on: 4/17 19:21
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
What is this garbage in my wheel cylinder?

I'm replacing them anyway; I'm just curious.

Attach file:

jpg  20240420_120639.jpg (5,829.90 KB)
225076_6623e8e4cf33e.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 4/20 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Dried up fluid and corrosion of the aluminum pistons which happens when the system isn’t flushed annually.

Posted on: 4/20 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
That's why I went silicone.

Posted on: 4/20 16:46
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved