Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rough gear change on ultramatic
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
Hi everyone. I have finally got my 56 Clipper on the road! It runs sweet for an old donk that hasn't ran for 15 years (i'm shocked how well). But the ultramatic changes pretty rough with a noticable clunk. I have put some lucas transmission slip in it but hasn't got better. Would adjusting the bands help? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.s. When i opened the pan there was a hairline crack in the valve body (the valve body visible when you open the pan. Lower?)

Posted on: 2021/9/17 5:55
 Top  Print 

Re: Rough gear change on ultramatic
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A.E
See User information
Check your rear axle bushings. If the axle is loose it effects to gear change.

Posted on: 2022/3/6 13:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You should adjust your bands as a matter of course as that will have a huge effect on the low-high shift. If that does not bring any joy then there is a good chance someone has raised the shift points by adjusting the throttle link that is just next to the carburetor. Do the shifts seem to come late? You can try moving the throttle link toward the front of the car a little at a time by just moving the two jam nuts on the throttle pull rod. Better your shifts should be a bit harsh than very soft and wear the clutches unduly.

Posted on: 2022/3/7 6:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I will add that Packard's Ultramatic was considered to shift a bit rougher than GM's Hydramatic... the opposite of intuition. So *some* roughness may be normal.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 6:23
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I that problem once. You would have sworn it was driveline, but the exhaust system was falling apart.

The car was a 56. It had a trans rebuild by a Studebaker dealer to remedy a nasty flair in drive range. It didn't work. And when you went into drive range at low speed the timing was off and both the high range clutch and band would be applied. However, high range was perfect in every way.

I never had a chance to address that issue, but suspect an accumulator and valve spring update were needed. The band thing didn't work on that one.

I don't know why Packard had so many problems given the Chrysler two speed Powerflite was trouble free from day one.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 11:43
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved