Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Request for help
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
That's the million dollar question. If we all knew how to answer that, we'd all be millionaires. One person in the hobby was once quoted as saying, "if you're making money on old cars, you're doing something wrong."
I cannot guarantee that you'll be able to turn around and sell at a break-even price. Personally, I think $100K is a bit strong, but I think that's where the current market may stand. The best advice is to buy what you like, that way if you get stuck with the car, at least you like it.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 12:42
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dubaiguy
See User information
Thanks again.

Regarding the Packard, did the numbers on the car and engine match what it is supposed to be?

Darin

Posted on: 2009/3/26 12:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
As to our diversion into "dickey seats", the last use I'm aware of in a stock-bodied car was the postwar Triumph roadsters.

I have always known these as "rumble seats". Is that a regionalism?

Posted on: 2009/3/26 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Darin
The numbers on the data plate and engine match up to what the car is.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 14:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've spent some hours in those Triumph roadsters, a bit underpowered even after they upped it to 2.0 liters, and the 4-speed on the column is uncommon to most Americans, but still a nice little piece to drive around, and really uncommon.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
A West said, 100K is probably close to market. As choosing between the Lincoln and Packard.

With the Packard you are getting almost every bit a car as the more expensive 902/903 Std and Deluxe Eights. I think the 900 grill is a love or hate item. Both are full classics. If the Lincoln was in better shape at the same price, I'd might go with the Lincoln. Though we have no idea of what the pricing is. The plus is that both are sporty convertibles.

I don't think you would be stuck with either but again we don't know the entry price. What about you work the package deal, and O take the Lincoln off your hands

Posted on: 2009/3/27 0:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Dubaiguy, may I suggest one thing on helping you make your decision: They're still making new Lincolns, but they're not making new Packards. Easy decision if you ask me.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 16:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dubaiguy
See User information
Thanks for the input and help from everyone. I have made an offer on the two cars and am waiting to hear back from the owner.

Cheers,

Darin

Posted on: 2009/4/1 2:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The way the economy is going antique cars are likely to be very hard to sell, and very hard to finance, for the forseeable future.

Experts are saying the present deflation period may last for years. It is possible that if you were ever forced to sell you would get half what it was worth before the deflation set in.

Prices have not dropped that much yet and they may never do so. But unless I could afford to blow $100,000 and laugh it off I wouldn't take the chance.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
"Experts are saying the present deflation period may last for years. It is possible that if you were ever forced to sell you would get half what it was worth before the deflation set in."-----

Although no one living since the mid 1930s has ever experienced deflation, it's a funny economic principle. Your money buys more. That means that in deflationary times, even though the actual dollar amount that you might get for your car may be less than the dollar amount that you paid for it - the deflated dollars that you get for it will buy, usually, about the same quality and quantity of product that you bought with the inflated ones. If deflation should happen, you'd be little worse off and, perhaps, even come out a little ahead.

As The United States' trade imbalance continues to grow, domestic productivity of material goods continues to decline as more and more domestic industry is driven overseas to avoid rising taxes and growing bureaucratic harassment, trillions more dollars in unsupported (by anything other than smoke and mirrors) are created and put into circulation to, "fix," our current economic crises - deflation is just about as likely to occur for the foreseeable future as is the sun rising in the west tomorrow morning. Housing prices will undoubtedly continue to adjust back to near (but not quite) reality even in our entirely credit based, "Alice in Wonderland," economy but, deflation? Nothing in reality based historical economic principles indicates that our generation or the five or six that come after it will EVER see deflation. To deflate currency must be based upon something of quantifiable positive (rather than negative) value. In reality, since we went off the gold standard in the early 1930s and since our domestic production of goods in worldwide demand fell below what we, ourselves, consume - ours hasn't been.

I'd go ahead and buy the cars (both of 'em) if I had the money in hand. Hell, possession will be the law if the balloon goes up and the nation and everyone who lives in it have been, in the most literal sense of the word, bankrupt and living on unsupported credit at least since the early 1980s. Why worry now? If you have the means, enjoy a Packard. There are few things as worthwhile in the world today.

Posted on: 2009/4/4 1:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved