Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
29 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 29

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 56 Caribbean Convertible Rejuvenation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

5540Packards
See User information
If you want to see how a proper torsion level suspension works look up Jay Leno's garage on Youtube and see his 1955 Packard Caribbean Convertible. Also There is a person in one of the Pacific Northwest regional Packard clubs that does a control box conversion for the torsion level system all solid state replaces the relays (no moving parts) I had that done to mine about a dozen years ago; my torsion level has been trouble free since.

Posted on: 2022/8/8 16:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Is anyone still making the solid state conversions?

Posted on: 2022/8/8 18:07
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
So the Caribbean is still running well. I had some issues with the carbs sticking in high idle. One time it was the secondaries not closing and the next was the linkage binding. But the more I drive it the more comfortable it gets with just being a car.

Had an issue with the suspension, turned out the on off switch needed cleaning. So that was addressed.

Filled up the new tank that was installed and noticed it was leaking and no amount of tightening the line would get it to stop. Found out the female connection in the tank was spinning. So I had to get that repaired. Now no leaks!!

I also got a 56 CT plate for the front! the wife got me one for Christmas and was able to finally put it on. CT because the sticker on the windshield is from a submarine base up there, so I am assuming it spent some time up there after it was purchased new in DC.

This past weekend was the first time the top was put down on that car in YEARS (by us anyway)! it was nice, until I had to put it up. I had to essentially push the top back up while having the button pushed in on the dash. It went down fine, slow like it always did, but it just stopped when it got a couple inches out of the top well. Would this be a weak motor? low on fluid? is there a process to go through to check this out?

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  Carib front.jpg (278.31 KB)
203788_64b9a453574ea.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/7/20 16:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Could also be some dry or sticking pivot points in the top mechanism. There have been several posts on the forum about how important it is that the mechanism needs to be moving free and equally on each side or damage and broken pieces can occur.

There is a complete writeup on the top and how to check pressure and fluid levels in the hydraulic system starting on page 21 in the body section of the 55-6 service manual.

Posted on: 2023/7/20 16:34
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Could also be some dry or sticking pivot points in the top mechanism. There have been several posts on the forum about how important it is that the mechanism needs to be moving free and equally on each side or damage and broken pieces can occur.

There is a complete writeup on the top and how to check pressure and fluid levels in the hydraulic system starting on page 21 in the body section of the 55-6 service manual.

thanks for that! seems straight forward. I will try to make sure that all pivot points are lubed, and check the pressure and level of the top motor.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Well its the end of the driving season and this car is sitting for the winter. I hope to get some projects done to it over the next couple months (front bump stops, top issue, and a deep clean) and this past weekend I was able to get a start on that. Due to it sitting for close to a decade and it bouncing from mechanics before it ended up at Ross', the exterior has took a turn for the worse. it needs paint, but any half decent painter will recognize that the standard of body work that was performed by my dad in the 80's are not up par with todays standards... So I am going to try and make this 40ft car more like a 20footer. That started with compounding the exterior. All that is left is the drivers door and fender. The old lacquer color came out again and it does have a little shine to it. I will probably hit it again come spring time but I like the results so far. In the picture below you can see where I hit it with the compound on the top of the fender and didnt going down the side.

Click to see original Image in a new window

It needed it BAD.

Posted on: 1/3 11:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

CarFreak wrote:
So the Caribbean is still running well. I had some issues with the carbs sticking in high idle. One time it was the secondaries not closing and the next was the linkage binding. But the more I drive it the more comfortable it gets with just being a car.

Had an issue with the suspension, turned out the on off switch needed cleaning. So that was addressed.

Filled up the new tank that was installed and noticed it was leaking and no amount of tightening the line would get it to stop. Found out the female connection in the tank was spinning. So I had to get that repaired. Now no leaks!!

I also got a 56 CT plate for the front! the wife got me one for Christmas and was able to finally put it on. CT because the sticker on the windshield is from a submarine base up there, so I am assuming it spent some time up there after it was purchased new in DC.

This past weekend was the first time the top was put down on that car in YEARS (by us anyway)! it was nice, until I had to put it up. I had to essentially push the top back up while having the button pushed in on the dash. It went down fine, slow like it always did, but it just stopped when it got a couple inches out of the top well. Would this be a weak motor? low on fluid? is there a process to go through to check this out?

Thanks!

For years I was part owner of an automotive trim shop and we repaired and replaced thousands of convertible tops. I knew most of the major players in the convertible business. This included the OEM level of the car business where I helped develop new convertibles and tops.

If you are a member of The Packard Club, check back in old Cormorant News Bulletins and see the full procedure with illustrations I wrote. I also wrote a similar procedure for Classic Auto Restorer magazine back in 1995.

I have said it many, many times and posted instructions. The first rule of owning and operating a convertible with a power top is to never, ever put the top down until you perform some checks. You can lube the daylights out of the pivot points on the top and it usually means little or nothing at all. And one should never, ever push or pull on a Caribbean convertible top. The topstack frame on these cars includes aluminum alloy components that are extremely brittle by now. The least amount of un-balanced pressure one way or the other can weaken, crack or even snap off one of these components. Then you're in for real trouble.

If one lowers a convertible top that has not been lowered in lengthy periods, the very first thing one should do –prior to lowering– is clean the ram rods from the power rams. These rods should be rust-free, slick and shiny. Skipping this step and simply lowering a top that has been sitting un-used for years often means you tear or completely blow the ram seals. And other damage can occur.

Also the fluid in convertible top systems (especially if it was brake fluid) did and does the same thing that brake systems do when left sitting for extended periods. the stuff gets weak, evaporates, dries up, even crystalizes. Check it first. Any evidence of crystalizing? Flush the system... clean and check the pump motor... clean and check the rams.

THEN operate the top.

Here are pages from the original June, 1995 Classic Auto Restorer magazine article I wrote. Please note that these are copyright © 1995 Leon Dixon:

Attach file:

jpeg  ConvertibleTopMaint1WM.jpeg (1,458.01 KB)
1249_6595e3bb6110b.jpeg 4607X6463 px

jpeg  ConvertibleTopMaint2WM.jpeg (1,045.58 KB)
1249_6595e44d78dfa.jpeg 4605X6440 px

jpeg  ConvertibleTopMaint3WM.jpeg (1,257.59 KB)
1249_6595e49136624.jpeg 4586X6426 px

jpeg  ConvertibleTopMaint4WM.jpeg (1,173.70 KB)
1249_6595e511e6141.jpeg 4630X6448 px

jpeg  ConvertibleTopMaint5WM.jpeg (1,493.97 KB)
1249_6595e62122e87.jpeg 4578X6426 px

Posted on: 1/3 17:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I don't have a convertible, but if I ever do then I will take this information to heart. Thanks for providing it Leeedy.

-Kevin

Posted on: 1/3 19:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
Quote:

CarFreak wrote:

Thanks!

For years I was part owner of an automotive trim shop and we repaired and replaced thousands of convertible tops. I knew most of the major players in the convertible business. This included the OEM level of the car business where I helped develop new convertibles and tops.

If you are a member of The Packard Club, check back in old Cormorant News Bulletins and see the full procedure with illustrations I wrote. I also wrote a similar procedure for Classic Auto Restorer magazine back in 1995.

I have said it many, many times and posted instructions. The first rule of owning and operating a convertible with a power top is to never, ever put the top down until you perform some checks. You can lube the daylights out of the pivot points on the top and it usually means little or nothing at all. And one should never, ever push or pull on a Caribbean convertible top. The topstack frame on these cars includes aluminum alloy components that are extremely brittle by now. The least amount of un-balanced pressure one way or the other can weaken, crack or even snap off one of these components. Then you're in for real trouble.

If one lowers a convertible top that has not been lowered in lengthy periods, the very first thing one should do –prior to lowering– is clean the ram rods from the power rams. These rods should be rust-free, slick and shiny. Skipping this step and simply lowering a top that has been sitting un-used for years often means you tear or completely blow the ram seals. And other damage can occur.

Also the fluid in convertible top systems (especially if it was brake fluid) did and does the same thing that brake systems do when left sitting for extended periods. the stuff gets weak, evaporates, dries up, even crystalizes. Check it first. Any evidence of crystalizing? Flush the system... clean and check the pump motor... clean and check the rams.

THEN operate the top.

Here are pages from the original June, 1995 Classic Auto Restorer magazine article I wrote. Please note that these are copyright © 1995 Leon Dixon:

Thank you for that LEEEDY. I knew there was talk of using either brake fluid or transfluid for the top motor, but I can remember if my dad ever mentioned which one he used. and with that information I should hopefully be able to tell. I will go through this before the top goes down this summer. thank you!

Posted on: 1/4 11:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I always use automatic transmission fluid in the power windows after having a new reproduction cylinder leak and take off the fresh rocker paint on my 1952 Henney-Packard No-3-Way. Apple Hydraulics told me that that's what they recommend too.

Posted on: 1/4 14:24
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved