Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

Rich49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Day 6 PACA 13th National Rally - Tree Top walk, Kiama on the coast and Farewell dinner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Last day of activities started with a run to the Tree Top walk at Robertsonhttp://www.illawarrafly.com/ Then down the mountain to Kiama on Australia's eastern seaboard. Didn't know I had to lock out the O/D so the '41 was SMOKIN' with both front and rear brakes suffering! And the evening saw the Farewell Dinner and Presentation, so a long day for all.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/TreeTopKiamaRun27thMarch#

Attach file:

jpg  (36.78 KB)
226_49ccc2c8dd90e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.82 KB)
226_49ccc2e03ab7e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.99 KB)
226_49ccc2ef1c8b4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.09 KB)
226_49ccc44c4be94.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.52 KB)
226_49ccc45ab5452.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.30 KB)
226_49ccc46dae610.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/3/27 7:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Day 6 PACA 13th National Rally - Tree Top walk, Kiama on the coast and Farewell dinner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks again for the pictures and commentary; it's not as good as being there, but it's close.

As to hilly country driving, a point that should be emphasized for OD-equipped cars is that you need to get OUT OF OD to get engine compression on downgrades. Reminds me of what most all drivers were taught before the era of automatic transmissions, namely that if you needed a lower gear to go up a hill, you should use the same lower gear to go down it. Good advice for many older cars on tour.

PS - I'm reminded that PAC's Henry Joy Tour of least year was in hilly country and the driving instructions had prominent warnings to take cars out of OD at certain points in the tour. A good point to remember for those who prepare and organize tours.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 8:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Day 6 PACA 13th National Rally - Tree Top walk, Kiama on the coast and Farewell dinner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. Commentary regarding the Rally has been lacking but in the near future I will attempt to caption most of the pic's taken.

Regarding the O/D lockout - Thought I was doing the right thing at the top of the descent by changing down to second gear. This hardly helped because any braking effect from the engine was negated by the free-wheeling action of the O/D. In my naivety, as I headed down the mineshaft, I was thinking that compression must be fairly low because the engine appears to have done plenty of miles. It wasn't far from the bottom that I was waved over to the roadside and pulling up was nerve wracking stuff. Accompanied by clouds of smoke from all four brake drums I was literally standing on the brake pedal and pulling on the steering wheel to bring the '41 to a halt. I then had to ask "Big Bad Barry" to find me a rock to wedge under a wheel to stop the '41 from rolling as it wouldn't hold in gear with the hand brake fully on. After a cool down period the journey was resumed to find the bottom of the descent was just around the next corner but by then it could have been too late.

And I should catch up with the '34 1102 and it's owner today before it leaves on it's 800 mile trip home.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.86 KB)
226_49cd25e0cc8cd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.65 KB)
226_49cd25f46faeb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.78 KB)
226_49cd25ffaa03c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.83 KB)
226_49cd260bc5d0e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/3/27 14:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Accompanied by clouds of smoke from all four brake drums I was literally standing on the brake pedal and pulling on the steering wheel to bring the '41 to a halt.

Some pulse-increasing moments I'm sure. I've never had any issues with the 34 Packard on steep hills and doubt your friend with the 1102 did either, the rear axle ratio is so low (4.69) that you get plenty of engine-braking even in high gear. Plus the 34 cars have just outstanding brakes anyway, far superior to what the later cars had even with hydraulics.

But I did have an occasion very much like yours in my 56 Caribbean once, standing on the pedal with 2 feet, pulling on the steering wheel to increase my leverage. By the time I realized that I should be in low range, I was already going to fast! Failing to stop at the bottom would have put us into Lake Canandiagua in NYS, but we did manage to slow and make a turn. Not much smoke but lots of smell of burning brakes, and they were never the same again until I replaced the shoes.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Holy Smokes Mal! Glad to know you are okay. That is the ultimate White knuckle ride of a lifetime.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 0:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
The '34 virtually lost it's braking. He seemed a little rattled but happy later though that his new suspension got a tryout and went well.

My 110 did fine, but I cut my teeth more than once on the Rocky Mountains as a kid.

I did stall out briefly earlier in the day on an easy spot, but finally just let it roll back and popped the clutch.

Did discover my Kanter rebuilt fuel pump leaks like a sieve today. Has about 500 miles on it. Wrote them an email. Hope they honor their "lifetime warranty", Probably only has 500 miles on it. Probably left 50$ worth on fuel on the ground the last week, notwithstanding the fire hazard.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 0:47
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved