Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

TxGoat, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Which project?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Larenc
See User information
I am looking to start a new project and have found a 1940 110 sedan and a 1952 300. Which would you take on and why?

Posted on: 2009/3/31 17:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Which project?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I would pursue the '52 300 just because I prefer the straight eights. If it was a 1940 120 it would be a different story because it's a pre war eight.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 17:30
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Larenc
See User information
Thank you. By the way, what do the terms "junior" and "senior" mean when talking about Packards and how do you tell them apart?

Posted on: 2009/3/31 17:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Generally the following is true:

Pre-War the 120s, 115s, 110s are the Juniors, everything else (Super Eight, 160, 180) is a Senior. 115s and 110s are Sixes. The 120 is an Eight.

51-56 Clippers (aka 200's or 250's) are the Junior Chassis, Packard line cars (300's and 400's) are the Seniors

46-50 is the where it gets a but murky (in my understanding) where the Clipper name was used almost every where. So I will let someone else chime in on the that.

The juniors were typically shorter wheelbase, less expensive cars, and did not have all the appointments of their Senior brethren.

I am sure people will have a better answer for you, but the above is rough guide.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 18:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Larenc
See User information
Thank you, that was very helpful. May I assume that the "Seniors" will be more valuable then?

Posted on: 2009/3/31 18:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For 46-50, those with the 356 9-main bearing engine are Seniors, the rest are not. Specifically, 42-47 Seniors are Super Clippers and Custom Super Clippers, 48-50 Seniors are Custom 8s.

You could view the Juniors as middle price class cars, and the Seniors as luxury class cars. Some would say the further you get from the first introduction of the 120, when Packard decided they needed a "cheaper" car to survive, the murkier the distinctions get.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 19:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Larenc wrote:.......found a 1940 110 sedan and a 1952 300. Which would you take on and why?

G'day Larenc and to PackardInfo. Whichever one you choose, and my preference would be the '40 because I have Pre-War Packards, could you please include it in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/4/1 2:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

todd jordan rayner
See User information
if you buy and do both you will still have something to do whenever stuck waiting for parts for the other, and if one is near drivable build the other, and you will have one to drive untill the other is done.not such thing as too many cars, just not enough time, space or money, just work harder.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Owen, I don't recall - are the 48-50 327 cars (Super 8, Super Deluxe) classified Senior or Junior?

Posted on: 2009/4/1 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good question, I don't really know of any official body assigned to defining "junior" and "senior" so there are no doubt a variety of interpretations. (Might be interesting to see how the Milestone Car Society has treated this). The definition I gave is mine and I believe is generally shared with most Packard folks, but others may certainly differ. For a borderline case look at the 54 Cavalier; first it's a Packard in the senior car line, not a Clipper, and based on that you'd say "senior". Yet it's the only Packard-line car in 1954 to NOT have the senior engine, so you could say it's a "junior-senior"?

My own thought on the 23rd series Super DeLuxe is that nice as they were, they were almost a full 25% cheaper than the Custom 8, and a significantly less refined and elegant product; to me it's not Senior but that's just my opinion.

One thing that's sometimes forgotten with this "junior-senior" business is that, before the introduction in 1935 of the 120 which many consider the first "junior", there were several series of Packards in different prices classes in most every year, so some were more junior than others. And Packard had other moves downward in price (and expense); for example when the Single 8 replaced the Twin Six. And when the Twin Six replaced the Dominant Six. But the difference is that even the lesser Packards of this era, for example the Single Six, the Light Eight, etc. were still upper price class cars, whereas the 120 was decidely not. And the 110 was damn near in the lower price class.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 12:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved