Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Can’t get her started
Just popping in
Just popping in

Superpacker
See User information
Hello All,

This is my first post to the forum and I’m in need of some help/suggestions. I have a 1939 Packard super 8 with O/D. Here’s what happened today:

8:00 Am I start my super 8 on the second attempt. The temperature at time of starting was around 10F. I let it warm for about 3 minutes. Let it idle to go back in the house and get my wallet. When I come out I hope in put it in first and begin to roll away but then she dies. Looking back I should have just let it warm longer. I try to get it restarted with no success.

1PM I come home for lunch hoping I can turn it over and get her started but I noticed fuel dripping from the carb. Mind you I just rebuild the carb, tuned and timed everything PERFECTLY. I turn it over a few times no luck. Temp is 18F

9 PM same result, but I did blow out the fuel Jet and open the Butterfly choke hoping I’d get a different result. Nothing.

Spark plugs are dry but a bit black from carbon. I think I’ll replace all 8 for the hell of it. Any ideas on where to look next? Should I replace the spark plugs, let it sit for a couple days, the try to start it when its 60 outside on Sunday?

Posted on: 2022/2/23 23:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Can’t get her started
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Superpacker,
Welcome to Packard Info. Have you performed a compression test on this engine? If not, I would do that to get a base line of the engine's condition. The dripping gas also portends an issue and you say you rebuilt the carb?? I'd want to know the source of that leak from both a performance and safety standpoint.
The temperatures you are quoting shouldn't, in my opinion, prohibit or adversely affect whether or not the engine starts and runs. These are temps in which any car should start and run.
And what about points? They can be a critical component of the ignition system and are often overlooked when troubleshooting. There are many top-drawer mechanics on this site and I'm sure you'll get some input and suggestions. This is just my basic 'junior mechanic approach' having been where you are at. Good luck. Chris

Posted on: 2022/2/24 1:18
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Superpacker,

to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '39 Super Eight in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/2/24 5:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not unusual. I hope the antifreeze is up to strength and block is not frozen. At those temps the gasoline doesn't vaporize much and liquid gas won't ignite. Can't say because no info, but if you sat there and pumped the gas pedal, you are your own worst enemy. That was why they used starting fluid up nort.
It should start if the spark is good. Check the distributor cap/rotor for moisture/corrosion and spark.
Best to move to a heated garage for a few hours. There could be some ice crystals in the gas plugging orifice, but rare.(E10?)

When they're like this, pop the air cleaner, let it dry out, and manually open the choke and put a screwdriver or something that won't fall in to hold open and start that way. This is carburetor v fuel injection thinking. You're the computer adjusting the fuel/air mix. Warm/run it til the choke stays open on it's own.

Posted on: 2022/2/24 8:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved