Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
25 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

treadle vac rebuilders
Just popping in
Just popping in

1955packardclipper
See User information
Hello all! Wondering if anyone can give some advice on he best place to send a 1955 Clipper treadle vac to be rebuilt? Have removed from the car already, just need to have it done. Also if anyone has a toe board panel that it mounts to, let me know. Mine is fairly rotten and crusty and I have been looking for a replacement for a while with no luck. Thanks!

Posted on: 2022/6/26 14:29
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Re: treadle vac rebuilders
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
PM sent

Posted on: 2022/6/26 15:57
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
To your workbench? They are easy to rebuild so just get a kit and have at it.

Posted on: 2022/6/27 1:05
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
I agree. I did my own and wasn't too difficult. Just make sure you buy the kit with the poppet valve rubbers/seals. The only 2 problems I found was the brass poppets are little ball joints that should rotate freely. Mine were seized and I had to work them loose and free them up. Then greased them with the assembly lube. Also I had to hone the master cylinder sleeve and the booster reservoir with drill type honing stones. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2022/6/27 2:17
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information

Posted on: 2022/6/27 2:19
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
very detailed information by a hands on Packard info guy here
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/BTV_Rebuild.pdf

Posted on: 2022/6/27 9:49
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Obviously you can rebuild it yourself. However, if for one reason or the other you prefer not to, Ross Miller of Speedwell Garage (who posts here frequently) is one trustworthy rebuilder:

Speedwell Garage
206 Dairy RdParktonMD21120
(410) 357-4561

Kanter Auto Products as well (also a source for rebuild kits) and they provide an exchange service, so your car does not need to be off the road. Their rebuild kit also has the option of a new stainless steel plunger.

Kanter Auto Products 1948-54 Packard Parts, Power Brakes is Group 1.322

Max Merritt has rebuild kits and also has treadle vac units available on an exchange basis

Max Merrit Power Brake Units

Finally, three more more vendors of note, though I have no experience with them:

Karps Power Brake in Chino, California:
KARPS Power Brake

Harmon Classic Brake, has units for exchange and kits.

Harmon Classic Brakes

Finally, these guys recently started advertising in the Packard Club newsletter:

Tiger Treadle Vac Repair

Posted on: 2022/6/27 11:50
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't realize there were this many US mfgs who used the BTV. As I recall reading, there were a couple of European mfgs that used it too. Believe there was also a copy BTV licensed and built by Moraine which was on some GM cars. As I also believe I read, those had a slightly different construction and were even more prone to having the fluid sucked out if a seal failed. Perhaps Those were on some of the GM cars in years not listed for BTVs.

Wonder how many other BTVs were the poppet valve version Packard used vs the hydraulic reaction type. One of our regular posters was wondering if the hydraulic reaction type as was apparently used in 58 Chevys would bolt in and if there was that much of a difference in sensitivity and feel which was one of the claimed benefits of that model BTV. I didn't know but maybe someone else has experience.

Attach file:

jpg  BTV use.jpg (64.01 KB)
209_62b9ed1918a0a.jpg 1920X317 px

Posted on: 2022/6/27 12:48
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, the only European car manufacturer to use the BTV was, to my knowledge, Mercedes Benz and for only one year.

Posted on: 2022/6/27 13:52
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
We offer all the parts to rebuild your BTV as well as a rebuilding service. We may actually a rebuilt one in stock and can do an exchange as well as the toe board plate. Please reach out to our Packard Department.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2022/6/27 14:18
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved