Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

6volt battery booster
Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill Thoroughgood
See User information
Can anyone recommend a 6 volt battery booster… not a trickle charger but a backup

Posted on: 2022/7/24 15:39
Bill T
 Top  Print 

Re: 6volt battery booster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have tried a few brands but I have had the best luck with a unit made by Deltran called Battery Tender. The first model of Battery Tender I tried was the junior but it only has a 1.2 amp output and never was able to get the battery topped enough to go into the maintain or float mode. One I now use is not the cheapest but rather is capable of a 3 amp output to overcome the internal resistance in the large lead acid batteries we use.

There is a better 4 amp 6/12v model that can also handle the different characteristics needed for Optima or modern gel type batteries without damaging them. If you are only going to have a lead acid battery in the car you may not need the extra features and can do with the cheaper model but I would recommend staying with one capable of having a higher amp output.

This brand offers auto sensing protection and multiple ways to connect to the battery. I permanently wired the small insulated extension plug connection to the battery terminals and can easily plug or unplug the tender rather than messing with alligator clips. If you go with another brand try to get the same type connection -- particularly if your battery is under the seat.

Amazon has several different models of this brand as well as others.

Attach file:

jpg  3a battery tender.jpg (122.93 KB)
209_62ddd4d5dd4d2.jpg 1864X926 px

jpg  Battery Tender.jpg (133.64 KB)
209_62ddd5c97c6bd.jpg 1954X1158 px

Posted on: 2022/7/24 17:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill Thoroughgood
See User information
Thank you . Am looking more for a 6 volt booster than a battery tender. Still than you for responding.

Posted on: 2022/7/24 19:47
Bill T
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean something like a portable battery pak for helping a weak or dead battery, I don't believe you will find much if anything rated for 6v. A quick glance at those Amazon carries seem to be almost all 12v with a few rated at 12/24v. The only 6v rated items I see that also mention being able to start an engine are plug in type combination battery charger/engine starters. You said you didn't want a charger.

On the combination chargers, Schumacher seems to have about the largest but is only rated 125 amps at 6v. That might help a low battery start the engine but by itself, I would wonder if it could do much for a typical Packard engine. Starter specs on years that mention a spec give an average current draw of 175-250 amps during cranking and the large engines can require 3-500 amps or more in some conditions.

Posted on: 2022/7/24 20:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I have often thought of just carrying an extra charged battery in the trunk, thar I would maintain otherwise with a battery tender. Haven't done it yet, though. People say with some precautions you can Jumpstart from a 12v source but I haven't had to resort to that yet.

Posted on: 2022/7/24 23:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At least with lead-acid batteries, jump starting 6-volt cars from a 12-volt source is not at all uncommom. Not that it's something you're anxious to do, but when necessary and with proper precautions it can be safely done.

Posted on: 2022/7/25 7:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There's one or two if you search for 6V but have no idea if any good or not.
Common problem with limited use vehicles.
I keep a Li pack in the boat, works good, charges phone, radio, etc. but this new boat came with a jump switch built in and four batteries. Draws off the 3 trolling batteries(36V). So you could keep a AGM deep cycle in the trunk or somewhere hidden(switchable in), if you can find one reasonable. It won't leak like wet ones.
I have a big 200A charger on wheels, that does 6Vs and what I use in the garage. Preparation is the key, just check the day before so you can top off the battery 100% before you leave.
Another option is to put one of those battery disconnects in on the negative side and disconnect when sitting. I have one on the Cad(12V). Prevents the draw down from sitting. Has to be rated for the higher 6V amp draw. AGM seem to last longer between charges too. Positive ground eats up some of the charge. The car becomes a giant anode.
Most of the issues with 6V are poor conductor size, need 00 GA on the main battery/starter, letting wet cell go completely dead, and corrosion. So need clean connections of proper size and regular maintenance.

Posted on: 2022/7/25 9:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My practice with battery disconnect switches is to connect them to the ground side of the battery.

Posted on: 2022/7/25 10:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill Thoroughgood
See User information
Thanks for your input!

Posted on: 2022/7/25 18:39
Bill T
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill Thoroughgood
See User information
Thank you for responding.

Posted on: 2022/7/25 18:40
Bill T
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved