Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

front shocks question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Hi All.
Does anyone know if the front shocks/upper control arms on a Series 23 are interchangable with any other cars of the era (i.e. the big 3), or specific to Packard?
Gary

Posted on: 2023/1/21 7:29
 Top  Print 

Re: front shocks question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Apple Hydraulics shows various models of lever type shocks Packard used. They also provide a chart where they list a shock by model number along with another photo showing what the particular model of shock looks like and a partial list of some of the several other cars that used that same shock.

The main difference between cars using the same shock will be in the internal valving which depends on car weight, springs, and with what the mfg wanted in ride quality. Because of the valving, if you use a shock made for a completely different class car, even though it might fit, I doubt you would be entirely happy with the ride.

Posted on: 2023/1/21 10:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Unfortunately my interchange manual doesn't go back that far, but if you can locate one, you might be surprised.
The "P" part list doesn't generally give manufacturer info or cross reference.
Did you check the part cross reference on here?
Alternately, a period Motor repair manual or similar may contain that type info. These are research projects as far as I'm concerned.
In the old days one could just bebop down the local junk yard and take a look, but those days b-gone.

Posted on: 2023/1/21 10:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just as an aside, I did check a Hollander Interchange manual to see if any other mfgs used the same shock. Hollander and the Apple chart show several used the same Delco model 1946J/K series shocks which are externally the same. Only some 42 Packards are listed as using the exact same shock as the 46-50s. That is undoubtedly due to the particular valving characteristics inside the shock.

Posted on: 2023/1/21 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Thank you Howard and Jim, that is a great help.
Gary

Posted on: 2023/1/22 3:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Well, we discovered that 48 Packard and 48 Buick front shocks are not interchangable. On to Plan B.

Posted on: 2023/1/27 3:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If getting an exchange set from Kanter or Apple Hydraulics is not feasible there was a how to article written a few years ago by a Packard owner who rebuilt his lever action shocks. If you have time and a bit of mechanical aptitude that might be another option.

Posted on: 2023/1/27 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gary.

You probably don't have to go all the way to the US if you're going to rebuild your shocks.

When I had the '50 the front shocks on it leaked badly, kept topping them up with hydraulic fluid, and became quite adept at doing that. Of course, it helped they were readily accessible!

But, the reason I'm posting is that ...... I found a place in Brisbane that will rebuild them - W. W. Shock Absorbers When they quoted $350/shock for a rebuild(That was in 2018 so probably more now), the topping up of the hydraulic fluid looked like the best cost option at the time!

Posted on: 2023/1/27 18:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved