Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: Electrical systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I really wish you would stop saying "junk" this and "junk" that. Those are political statements and this is not a political site.

Posted on: 2023/2/6 15:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
I really wish you would stop saying "junk" this and "junk" that. Those are political statements and this is not a political site.

If you are referring to my use of the word "junkyard", I am old and that is a term I grew up with and is what we called them back then and where I grew up they probably still do. Not easy to remember to always say the politically correct scrap or salvage yard at this late date.

Posted on: 2023/2/6 17:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Right. I'm with Howard HH56, being of a certain age. Are we really going PC here, too? Wrecking yards were called that at best, but junkyards was the common term then. This site is about historical correctness, and Howard's the last soul here gathered any of us should chastise.

Many of us owe this gentleman and scholar immeasurable thanks.

Obviously, frugal people in the day, nascent hot rodders, customizers, DIYers, frequented "junkyards." Dutch Darrin so picked up Hudson door handles, etc. They were of great and economic value. Still are even if called "auto recyclers."

Does PCdom overrule common sense?

Tell you one thing, having lived long enough to frequent both, junkyards cheaper than auto recyclers -- and recycling close to a religion as this animist not above proclaiming Reformed Druidism if it gets him into the right clubs has.

Posted on: 2023/2/6 20:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Obviously not junkyard. I’m referring to Tom Cole’s constant usage of “junkbay” (eBay) and the like which are political statements of disparagement that don’t belong here. He has lots of knowledgeable things to say but often with a political edge.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 2:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
In youthful days seems like there was a "scrapyard" in town with an old timey steam shovel, their scrap consisted of bits and pieces of metal.

Then there were "junkyards" or auto "graveyards" where a kid like me could purchase parts.

Times were different and as a kid I was allowed to wander the yard and pull parts. Probably others, but radio, heater, and an electric clutch that I removed from wrecks and installed on dad's Packard. By removing I learned how to install and make it work again.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 6:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Some people have no sense of humor.

What's wrong with calling it the junknet, junktube, or junkbay?

I bought something at junk-Mart. So what?

I bought something at junk-Depot. Big deal.

I'm old enough to remember the New York Central Railroad.

How about this one? I don't go to junkdonalds or junk-in-the-box.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 9:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Back in late 50s and early 60 I would go to certain junkyards where you were allowed to walk around and look for parts. Remove them talk to one of workers pay him some cash which they used for coffee money these were for 1950 cars I had . Later in 70 would still be able to find parts this way upgraded some of my cars with power seats door and trunk locks. In 80s wenr to upure big time operation compared to the former places I visited. Learned a lot in this process including that wiper heater and radios could be used in different brands such as accrossed the GM brand or Ford Chrysler American motors. Came acrossed a lot of rare parts then which I should have kept to sell later for large sums of money. One of which was the late 60 buick plastic square air cleaner or Pontiac 3 two barrel manifold and air cleaner.Found supercharger set up for Studebaker from wrecked 57 Packard for cheap. Many treasure were to be had just for looking Sandard transmission convertion kits were there all we had to do was remove all the needed parts to replace a worn out automatic transmission. These were good place to get cheap brake drums or even wheels for winter tires. These were the days when I was young and low on money high on energy. These also provided a lot of good times with my brothers and other friends still have memories

Posted on: 2023/2/7 11:45
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Some people have no sense of humor.

I have a great sense of humor but I don’t come here to have politics thrown into my face. If you don’t like some company for a particular reason relating to Packard, then say the company’s name and explain the problem.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 12:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I think everyone should calm down a bit. I think we all appreciate everyone's contributions to keeping Packards on the road and our own mutual enjoyment of them.

I jokingly refer to the local home-improvement store as Home-Despot. Doesn't mean I don't shop there some times. Same with Partial-Foods. Those are not necessarily political statements, they are more meant to be funny, and at the same time acknowledge the rather large influence those particular companies have on the local retail landscape.

Anyhow, thank you all for your help in working through everyone's particular problems in Packard-land. We are all working on nearly 70+ year-old cars from an automaker that hasn't existed in just as long, good to keep things lighthearted - it's a hobby, after all.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 12:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't understand how calling the junknet is somehow political.

Attached is a photo of a controller I made up. Push the button and the transistor turns on. Push it again and the transistor turns off. It runs on 6 volts.

The transistor runs to 85/86 on a relay that carries a 40 amp load. I bought the parts on junkbay because Radio Shack stores are gone. I tried about nine different circuits from the junknet until I found one that works. The transistor part I added myself. I forgot that I have the old Radio Shack do it yourself circuits book around here someplace.

I have been trying for months to get stone delivered. Everything on the junknet and junklist is a scam. Even the listing in the printed yellow pages is no help. I have driven to places and found a vacant lot. I don't call it the junknet for nothing. I tried to find a dump truck for rent and those sites are scams.

Think about that.

Attach file:

jpg  100_0187.JPG (241.00 KB)
373_63e2add610a18.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/2/7 14:59
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved