Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

dallas, tabletennissport, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic adjustment?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Getting to the end of bringing my 1951 Packard 200 Deluxe back from a 27 year nap. Got all the important things sorted out and the car drives very well. What I have noticed is that after the car warms up it needs to rev up before it drops into gear. Does this in reverse as well as high gear. Transmission full on the dipstick, STP fluid type F. Engine at 375 RPMs idle in gear.
Is there an adjustment to make it go into gear at idle or just above? Thanks again guys for all the help so far. Dan

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4250.JPG (259.35 KB)
225857_64209b28d7e5e.jpg 1920X1138 px

Posted on: 2023/3/26 14:22
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic adjustment?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sadly, there is no adjustment that will cure that. When hot, the fluid is thin and is then bypassing in too many worn places to build pressure.

That said, turn up the idle to oh, 450 or so.

A bottle of Lucas Transmission magic juice will often help transmissions that are on the edge as it thickens the fluid.

At age 72, it might just be that the rubber lip seals on the low and reverse servos have had it and are bypassing a lot of fluid. They can be changed after removing the pan and could make a big difference. No drastic teardown is necessary for that. Kanter has them.

As you come up to speed do you notice the torque convertor locking out as it should?

Posted on: 2023/3/26 17:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Ross and everyone,

I don't have this problem, but perhaps I will someday. That's a great tip about the servo seals.

Does anyone have any experience with B&M "Trick Shift", would that help in this case? I think it is more designed to help slipping bands or other friction surfaces (if it actually works at all, I understand it's probably just re-marketed Type F), so just wondering if you've had any experience with that stuff.

Cheers and Thanks

Posted on: 2023/3/26 18:15
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Thanks for the reply Ross, Tomorrow I will try the Lucas product and turn up my idle a bit. I can't tell if the converter is locking up as there is no difference from off idle to 70 mph. I assume it is working but no noticeable clunks or noises.
Are reverse and low piston seals (what Kanter calls them) what you mean by servo seals? That will probably be my next project. I'm older than the car so not really looking forward to getting under it again.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 19:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The torque converter should engage at ~35mph. On mine I feel the transmission shift, similar to a modern car though more pronounced. You'll hear the engine RPM change as well. It will shift back down to first when you get below 10 mph.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/3/26 20:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Chiefdan wrote:
I assume it is working but no noticeable clunks or noises.

If you don't feel it then it's probably not working. It's been noticeable in every Packard I've ridden in.

On the twin ultramatics it might be possible for it to lock up quick enough after switching to high gear that it sounds like one long shift, but you're in high gear all the time.

On your transmission IIRC the torque converter will lock up even in low gear, so you could test that also, though I doubt it would be different.

Posted on: 2023/3/27 5:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Piston seals, servo seals are one and the same. If your convertor is locking, you will feel it.

Posted on: 2023/3/27 7:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Kevin,

I think you mean "unlock" when yo get down to 10 mph?

Or maybe you are talking about experience with a Twin-Ultramatic/Gear-Start, which would actually shift between 1st and 2nd?

Posted on: 2023/3/27 11:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Make sure that your transmission is actually full. Attached is a page from the shop manual detailing the proper procedure.

My 53 would read full after sitting for a while but if I check it within a minute of running as described, I was almost two quarts low.

Attach file:

jpeg  ultramatic fluid level check.jpeg (240.16 KB)
1136_6424c8dc16678.jpeg 1395X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/3/29 18:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
That being said it is normal for these to run a bit low. It won't hurt to fill it up correctly though.

Posted on: 2023/3/30 4:22
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved