Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel Tank Whistle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Okay trivia buffs, what year did Packard introduce the tank whistle in their cars and when did it disappear? Was it common in other makes of automobile?

No, I don't have the answers so I can't check your work. It's on the honor system ;)

Posted on: 2023/3/31 10:56
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel Tank Whistle
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cannot answer as to when it first appeared but this bulletin would indicate it was eliminated with or at least very early in the 24th series 1951 production.

Posted on: 2023/3/31 11:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I honestly hadn't heard of such a thing until now.

Posted on: 2023/3/31 11:44
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information

Posted on: 2023/3/31 12:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I know my pewar cars didn’t have it but my 1948 Henney Landaulet did. All my 1951s had it but none of my 1952s did which was expected as it was eliminated for the 1952 and later model years except for the Henneys which used a modified version of the 1948-1950 tank

Back when there were full service stations, it was always fun to watch the young people’s expressions when the whistle started. They usually thought that something was wrong with the nozzle!

Posted on: 2023/3/31 13:16
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jon Kanas
See User information
My 1948 Station Sedan has the whistle. I had no idea this existed until I filled it with fuel for the very first time yesterday.

Posted on: 2023/3/31 15:49
Best Regards,
Jon B Kanas
eMail: kanas@qadas.com

Longmont, Colorado; Cultural Center of the Universe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
It looks like the whistle was introduced on the Clipper models in 1941.
It is mentioned in the 1942 Clipper owners manual and the part number for the 1941 Clipper fuel tank is the same as the 17 gallon tanks used in 1942

Posted on: 2023/3/31 16:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
So the belief is the whistle was a Packard exclusive feature that began with the '41 Clipper and ended after the '51's -- a ten year span interrupted by the war.

That makes them very unique.

My father happens to have a '42 Senior Packard, no whistle.

Per a quick online search the automatic shut-off gasoline pump first appeared in 1939 but was rather crude to begin with. I'm sure it took many years afterwards for automatic shut-off to become commonplace in the field. I suppose the transitional period could have been particularly confusing as you may not know if it was or wasn't, but back then stations almost always had attendants and were not self-serve, for good reason.

Posted on: 2023/4/1 16:16
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember mention of it being on any other cars with reviews or test reports of the time so very possibly a Packard exclusive.

According to the service bulletin referenced in post #2 cars shipped from the factory after Nov 20, 1950 did not have the whistle nor did any service replacement tanks already in the warehouse available for shipment after that date. I would take that to mean that it was eliminated very early in 51 production so those 51s that did have it must have been in cars shipped as initial zone and dealer stock and actually sold later in the year.

Posted on: 2023/4/1 16:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
One of my 1951s and my 1952 that had the whistle were both sold in September 1951 but those were Henney-Packards which used a variation of the 1950 type tank. I'm afraid I don't know the dates of my other 1951 and 1952 passenger cars but the 1951 which was a 300 did have the whistle.

Posted on: 2023/4/1 20:44
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved