Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

BigKev, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Driver side Fender Trim
Just popping in
Just popping in

Temp2002
See User information
My 1952 Packard 200 seems to have a series of holes above the arrow trim for more trim.
While researching what it possibly could be for, I found one picture of another Packard that had the Packard name above the arrow trim.
I was just wondering if this was correct, and if so, does anybody know where I could get it?

Posted on: 2023/6/19 9:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Driver side Fender Trim
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since you mention arrow, am presuming it to be the front fender in question. Nothing other than the strip with the arrow is shown on the front fender of a 200 in any of the sales photos. If only a couple of holes are visible am wondering if a previous owner had added something or maybe the dealer added the Packard name or an emblem. I could be wrong but believe the only factory place the Packard name appeared on the exterior in 52 was in the chrome piece on the trunk lid.

If it is the rear fender and the car has an Ultramatic, there was a script advertising the fact which was installed just above the speedline in the sheetmetal. There was also an option where the senior louvers or scoops could be purchased and installed on the lower end models rear fender. Those could have been present at one time and then removed.

If there are many holes, one other possibility is the fender might have been damaged and one from another year or model was found in a scrapyard and installed without filling the extra holes. As this chart shows, the same fender fits all 51-4 models but the trim was in slightly different configurations or locations. The holes that are visible might have been for a piece used in another year or model.

If it is specifically the Packard name then would almost need to know which version was installed as there were different sizes and even slightly different styling scripts used over the years. The hole locations are probably in different places depending on which one was used.

Attach file:

jpg  fender1.jpg (233.79 KB)
209_64906cc2afdb0.jpg 1410X1682 px

jpg  fender2.jpg (63.92 KB)
209_64906cce18a55.jpg 670X586 px

Posted on: 2023/6/19 9:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Temp2002
See User information
This is the picture I found and on it you can see the Packard name above the trim, mine seems to have holes for that same details.

Attach file:

png  Picture2.png (413.54 KB)
226260_649078f23b75d.png 617X412 px

Posted on: 2023/6/19 10:49
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Temp2002
See User information
And to clarify the fender had no clear damage and seemed fin. The holes I found were two or three holes near the back of the fender and above the trim, around the same location as the Packard name in the picture above

Posted on: 2023/6/19 10:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I do believe that is something added by the dealer or a previous owner. The 200 series was the base model and trim was somewhat sparse compared to other models and the competition. Sometimes dealers did try to elevate the appeal and adding extra chrome was an easy thing to do.

It could also have to do with better identification. Since the Packard name was removed from the hood in 52 leaving just a crest in front and the name only appearing in fairly small lettering on the trunk emblem in back, to better identify the 52 cars perhaps side visibility was thought to be a good option. Again, without knowing which size or year script was used it might be a challenge to get something to exactly match the holes. You might see several scripts on ebay and get lucky on the first one but it could also take trial and error to get the correct piece.

Here are official photos from the 52 Salesman's Data Book. You can download the book from the literature archive.

Attach file:

jpg  trunk.jpg (113.13 KB)
209_64907d750a88d.jpg 1324X594 px

jpg  200 club.jpg (117.77 KB)
209_6490819069285.jpg 1920X953 px

jpg  200 touring.jpg (131.96 KB)
209_649081991d2a4.jpg 1920X923 px

Posted on: 2023/6/19 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day, Temp2002,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to inlude your '52 200 Touring Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 17:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
your car was most likely sold at the Earl Anthony dealership in California. he was known for adding his own signature touches to the cars he sold . the script on the fender was one of them. i had a few of these scripts which are very hard to come by. I am having some of these reproduces and will be ready in about a month.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Look in the parts list ("factory parts list" tab on left) and see if it shows a fender script for your model.
If not listed, then it's an add-on and who knows what was on it, if it's no longer there or no dealer sales order/bill of sale. If on the list, best way is to get one and see if it fits your fender.
They put them on/off some models in other years so it was kinda established pattern du jour with the belt line molding. It comes and goes year to year post war. Cadillac seemed to put them below the line. Go figure?
No way to tell if holes were factory or not. They would have drilled them too
or the fender won't fit so many years. Pretty common in the day. Make one and modify for the model trim.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 21:06
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Temp2002
See User information
I can confirm it came from California, it even still has the plates.
I'll probably buy some of those scripts when they come in.

Posted on: 2023/6/20 8:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2023/6/20 17:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved