Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

CartRich, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dum-dum ignorance
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Can someone tell me what "dum-dum" means in these service documents? For example, here, bullet C: "Place some dum-dum over the holes..."

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/55T-10.pdf

Posted on: 2023/7/1 21:30
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Dum-dum ignorance
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dum dum is flexible body putty. There are types that usually do not harden very much and some that will harden over time and can even be painted over -- rough anti rust type painting, not finish type. It is not structural but is used to keep water and dust out of seams and holes. Comes in various size strips you lay over and then push into the seams and also comes in cans where you can scoop out larger amounts. Larger amounts are rolled with your hands to get it shaped for wherever you want to use it and then just push it in.

Posted on: 2023/7/1 21:38
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Howard, great explanation. I figured something along those lines but the purpose wasn't obvious to me until you explained it.

Posted on: 2023/7/1 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a partial package of strips in my shop that in spite being in extreme heat and cold are still as pliable as when I bought it decades ago.

Posted on: 2023/7/2 1:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
What's the brand?

Posted on: 2023/7/2 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’ll have to check when I’m up there but I seem to recall that it’s 3M.

Posted on: 2023/7/2 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Basically, a slang term for "putty" - which is typically linseed oil and ground calcium carbonate (limestone) or other clean fine earth based material. By changing the oil/solids ratio, chemistry, it'll change the aging and viscosity characteristics. Putties are > ~1M poise. eg; Drying oils will harden. Mineral oils/waxes will not. We've lost a significant history/know how of the early "sustainable" materials and how to make into products in favor of synthetic mass produced items.
I learned it called that from electricians so not sure of the origin. Dumdums are "lollipops". The electricians refer to "duct seal" as dumdum. When you penetrate a wall or exterior for a conduit you cram a bunch around the annulus and smooth out to stop water, bugs, etc from going in. Putties are sold in various forms, for various tasks, either lump or forms - on a roll, sometimes with paper between. I very recently had to get some to re-install the Cad heater core and the bigbox places didn't know what I was talking about. Today they'd use a foam gasket. Can you believe they sold putty knives but not putty? I ordered on line. So don't feel bad, it's out of fashion somewhat with all the foams and plastics du jour and demise of the ma-pa stores.
You can search under dumdum and find brand info.
There was specific "body putty", for much like what we use seam sealer today but that lingo was morphed to mean bondo/glaze when bondo came about. Goes on like putty but hardens thoroughly for sanding.
The internet doesn't have this type slang background info. You have to rely on period catalogs, research, etc. to know the history. I was fortunate to learn 60 years ago from old timey body men which is no longer possible. Not much "leading" going on either but you'll find it in the period repair info. The modern plumbophobes have taken care of that.

Posted on: 2023/7/3 10:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved