Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 109

todd landis, DM37, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Thingie :)
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
This is not an inexpensive looking part. I am sure management groaned when engineering came up with this fix.

Interesting part.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 22:29
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I see from HH56 psot that these were used on the 16th series juniors (1600 and 1601). Were they also used on the 15th series 120C ?

Posted on: 2009/5/11 16:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Were they also used on the 15th series 120C ?

Perhaps you want to re-read the 1600 service note more closely, if I read the text correctly it says the unit was used on the previous series (meaning 15th) but had been omitted on current production. Or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Thanks Dave. You're right, I did a quick skim and missed that point.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 19:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The snubber with the small tie rod end looking things was introduced for the 17th series/1939 models. For 1935-1937 juniors, the snubber was basically two plates of metal vulcanized together. (35-37 version repro available from Steele), not originally installed on the 38's, but suggested in the 7-1-38 service letter.
What the 1-1-39 service letter is referring to is retrofitting the new/better/improved 17th series snubbers into 16th series cars, and interestingly suggests the new snubber superceding the old snubber number. Bear in mind, however this applies to NON=overdrive (1938) cars, as the forward link is different, so don't get any bright ideas about using the old version (steele repro) in later OD cars.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 23:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I just installed an R11 to my 38 coupe and I was able and put the snubber that was on my stock tranny to the R11 with no trouble. There was a threaded hole in the bottom of the R11 that matched up with the snubber mounting point of the stock tranny.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 8:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Phil Parkey
See User information
As a person who ran service and parts departments for 10 years before changing careers, I know all too well that the term "thingie" is a very technical term for some and not to be taken lightly. LOL It could usually be accompanied by getting the customer to describe how it sounded. Too bad with didn't have video cameras and mics at the service desk. I could have probably won the $100k prize with those on Americas Funniest Videos.

All kidding aside, for someone restoring a car outside my generational experience, I now have another part to look for on my 36! Don't know if thats good or bad. Thanks for the info.

:thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/4 7:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The transmission snubber/stabilizer is completely different on a 36. Thankfully, it is reproduced by Steele and is easily available with a couple keystrokes and a piece of plastic.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 9:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved