Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 "120" banjo steering wheel ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
I have a restored 37 "120" banjo steering wheel that was original to my car and have a question about the splines that would engage on the steering column. They seem to be worn on the banjo wheel and was wondering if a loctite product should be used when installing? I'm just wondering when driving the car if I turn left or right it could get ugly if the car continues straight if these splines were to strip. Has anyone encountered this? See photos.

Attach file:

jpg  20230727_194335.jpg (154.68 KB)
85430_64c30da522995.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  20230727_194352.jpg (156.16 KB)
85430_64c30ef103f51.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/7/27 19:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 "120" banjo steering wheel ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Locktite 660 is a gap filling product which does say it is for use in repairing worn out seats, keys, and splines. I know we used to use it on a couple of drive pulleys that seemed to wear out key slots but whether it could be used and is sufficient to fill enough of the excess space to be safe depends on how much of the splines are still present. If gaps are small enough and there is still enough depth to catch the grooves the filler might be able to stop any play and restore decent strength. If the wear is so much the splines barely mesh then I would not trust any product because a good hard twist might just shear and let the car keep going straight.

Another consideration would be if the wheel could be removed again once the locktite is applied. There is a solvent that might release the stuff if it can soak down but usually heat is the preferred method for softening the hard bond but that would not work on the wheel.

Posted on: 2023/7/27 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Is the spline straight or tapered?

Is the material steel, or some kind of alloy?

Is it actually worn? Does the area where the retaining nut and washer go show any evidence of wear?

The spline would not ordinarily wear, especially if it is in a steel hub or steel insert.

Posted on: 2023/7/27 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If the same as my later prewar Packards, the steering column shaft is steel while the wheel hub is aluminum alloy.

Posted on: 2023/7/28 2:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Thanks for the replies, I agree, I think you would have to destroy the wheel if you ever had to take it off again if the loctite is used. The splines are straight, like Don mentions I think it is an aluminum alloy, doesn't seem to be magnetic.The wheel splines appear to be worn, the steering column splines are fine. I don't see any indications of wear on the retaining nut assembly. On the banjo wheels the nut is part of the horn button assembly and looks like it is difficult to tighten?

Posted on: 2023/7/28 7:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Definitely use a filler whether a loctite type product or JB weld or as recommended by others. Whether your grandchildren need to remove the steering wheel or not I am not worried about.. I have seen 2 in motion failures of worn splines - you do not want to take this chance.
Furthermore the unique to banjos nut under the horn button cup is the critical element, not the shallow horn button cup nut.

Posted on: 2023/7/28 7:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It looks as if this may be an issue affecting the banjo wheels with the alloy hub.

It would be prudent for anyone driving a car with the banjo wheel or any wheel with an alloy hub to check that it is tight on the shaft with no evidence of having been run loose.

If you can remove your steering wheel by removing the retaining nut and simply pulling it off, it's probably been loose and the spline may be compromised.

Posted on: 2023/7/28 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
As long as you don't use red or green Loctite then I would think it would come back apart with reasonable effort. I.e. maybe use blue or purple.

Posted on: 2023/7/28 11:03
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I wonder if a slot could be cut in both parts to accept a woodruff key. With that in place and the banjo specific lockout, I think that would negate the effects of worn splines.

Posted on: 2023/7/28 14:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Thanks for all the replies, I also was thinking that a key slot machined on both pieces would be the way to go. Anyhow, I'm thinking using the Loctite 660 and torque down. I agree, I can't see me ever needing to take it off. I also have a 37 "120" parts car that has a nice standard steering wheel, I think I read once in the forums that the banjo wheel has a different steering column than the standard wheel but I'll investigate that. I could install the standard wheel off of my parts car.

Posted on: 2023/7/28 19:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved