Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 193

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wiperless!!!😮
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Super cool! Packard thought of everything………..gonna add one to mine. Also we have a retailer known as OLLIES, they always have good stuff cheap, got a pair of simonize 12” wiper blades ($3.99 ea), took the rubber wiper out of the blades and cut them to size, and they fit right in.
Got that loose wire to the ignition fixed and she fired right up. Got the battery cable issue fixed as well. I resoldered the cable end that connected to the starter solenoid, rewrapped it with electrical tape double layer then encased it in a silicone rubber hose the entire length, then another double layer of electrical tape. Good as new.
You guy are real master mechanics, with your knowledge you could be “Authorized Packard Service” certified! Thanks for sharing the knowledge!👍🏻

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4707.jpeg (228.30 KB)
226376_64fd2a91ca5fa.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/9 21:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad the electrical problem was a simple fix. Old fabric covered wiring where the rubber under the fabric dries, cracks or falls off in chunks is a curse in almost all cars made before the early 50s. Loose and dirty connections can be another fun thing to find.

As nice as your car dash looks, just out of curiosity do your instruments still have the original Flite-Glo illumination? That was a fad after the war in the late 40s time period where some mfgs tried to copy airplane cockpit lighting. The bulbs are covered with UV or black light filters so background illumination is a dim purple and only the needles and letters glow bright green. Many cars have had the luminescent paint die or flake off and then owners had to remove the UV filters and convert to regular bulb illumination.

Attach file:

jpg  Flite Glo.jpg (53.47 KB)
209_64fd318d85cfb.jpg 1154X462 px

Posted on: 2023/9/9 22:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
I understand what you’re talking about. Yes mine works still but the hands/needles have some of it flaking off especially the speedo. Wish I could get my clock working
Is it normal to have the back lit reddish while the headlights are on? Tonight I’ll try to get a pic of the instrument cluster and post it. Radio comes or or at least lights up when the knob is turned on but no sound. My headlight dimmer switch is flukey, it goes from bright to dim to lights out then back on to bright.
Can they be serviced or replaced? Don’t think its normal for the lights to go off when the dimmer is pushed. Turn signal is normal on left signal, but fast blinking on right signal. Back up light works

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4707.jpeg (228.30 KB)
226376_64fda640c9462.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/10 6:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
re: slow wipers
Need to check/lube the cabling and pulley stanchions that actually move the wipers.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 8:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Did a complete rebuild on my fuel/vacuum boost pump solved the problem. It seems somebody had been into it before and reassembled the vacuum side one way valves in wrong and: no vacuum. Still need to check for vacuum leaks or maybe a wiper motor rebuild. There was tons of coffee ground looking stuff in the fuel side bowl so I put a clear NAPA fuel filter ahead of the pump to protect all my hard work. It has a newish fuel tank on it but taking no chances.

Attach file:

jpeg  72548615878__81DC70B7-C2D1-4080-B0B9-8D6951C55F1F.jpeg (1,582.15 KB)
226376_659030730e9b3.jpeg 4032X3024 px

jpeg  72548615878__81DC70B7-C2D1-4080-B0B9-8D6951C55F1F.jpeg (1,582.15 KB)
226376_6590310e69adc.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/30 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The coffee ground like stuff sounds like rust flakes. If the terne coating on the metal inside the tank has failed the flakes will keep coming. Hopefully the new added filter is large, easily accessible, and is the kind that is see thru or at least can be taken apart for checking and cleaning so you can keep an eye on how bad the rust might be. If not carry a spare filter. As I recall there are posts from another forum member that had the same rust situation. He also added a filter in the fuel line and even after cleaning his tank, rust came back and was so bad that during a short drive the filter quickly clogged and stalled the car.

Posted on: 12/30 10:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
If not carry a spare filter.

If you're driving any distance carry about 5 spare filters. And I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Been a while since I saw this video but IIRC he was changing filters every half hour (or less) when first getting it on the road.

Posted on: 12/30 10:54
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Yes i got the clear plastic ones from NAPA large capacity, got a dozen or more!
I cant load the video i took while rebuilding it. Lots of crud though.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_5986.jpeg (3,063.71 KB)
226376_6590667f9791b.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/30 13:50
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For videos you must load them to YouTube or other streaming service, then post the link.

Posted on: 12/31 3:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Have seen where people take BB’s and ball bearings and shook the tank with them inside to break up all the sludge inside………it took an hour of tilting the tank back and forth, but it did produce results.

Posted on: 12/31 16:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved