Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

William Grosz, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: '55 Caribbean Power Windows
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry about misleading you on the clip location but as I mentioned, has been a long time since I was in mine. Riki and Steward Ballard just did theirs not too long ago so maybe they have some pointers on getting it back together.

Posted on: 2023/9/28 20:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Marty

The center bolt moves vertical..

Nut its 9/16. That controls height.

May be a picture in my blog. Since I had to make a new shoulder bolt.

Have to pull window up.. Then tighten nut....

Posted on: 2023/9/28 23:57
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
No problem Howard. When I couldn't find the clip there, I studied the image in post #5 and figured it was there. I wonder why they didn't put the pin/clip where you marked. There is no doubt it would have made things a lot more serviceable.

I have considered drilling it out and putting a pin there with a cotter key.

Riki - I'll play around with things based on your suggestions and see what I come up with.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Planning for the worse - as in the clip flies off while attempting to install it. I can't seem to find a source for the horseshoe clip (see pic). Any suggestions?

Attach file:

jpg  Clip.jpg (90.16 KB)
1063_65172a2793a38.jpg 1282X1615 px

Posted on: 2023/9/29 14:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know why I call them horseshoe clips instead of hairpin clips but for lack of any other reason will say due to old age and a shortage of working brain cells. Searching for the wrong name may be the reason they have been elusive.

Amazon has some in in small quantity but a different style and a few sizes in the same style as the original. If you don't find what you need at Amazon or anywhere else McMaster-Carr has them. You might even be able to find them locally at some of the better hardware stores. Downside to ordering from McMaster is you have to buy them in box quantity. After you use the one or two you actually need there will still be enough left to equip a fleet.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 15:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that hairpin clips had one side straight which was designed to go through a hole in a shaft rather than into a groove around it. Otherwise they are very similar.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard I thought I had looked at McMaster-Carr, but I guess I didn't. The wire diameter is .007" smaller, but that shouldn't make much difference.

In any case I know that I'll have enough to get the job done. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some as a "Finder's Commission".

Posted on: 2023/9/29 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Got the PW motor yesterday and I'm faced with a bit of a quandary as to how to remove the gear from the original motor.

I'm guessing the two sprockets are pushed together, but any suggestions as to how to separate them would be welcomed.

EDIT:

Got it figured out after removing all the grease and oil. Gently tapped it out being careful not the damage the shaft.

Attach file:

jpg  Gear-1.JPG (247.04 KB)
1063_6519bf0223db0.jpg 1920X1075 px

jpg  Gear-2.JPG (213.85 KB)
1063_6519bf12c7be9.jpg 3032X1848 px

Posted on: 2023/10/1 13:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
I tried looking though mcmaster carr for the hair pin clip and I didnt have much luck. They do have stuff that is similar, but nothing that is an exact match. I ended up getting mine from max merrit.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

Posted on: 2023/10/3 0:38
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved