Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 210

Ozstatman, Vaughan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hesitation on take off
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Teddyh53Clip
See User information
Hello, I recently got a '53 Clipper deluxe touring sedan, everything runs pretty well, but there is a hesitation if I get on the gas rather hard coming from a complete stop. Sometimes it will die if I give it too much gas after stopping. If i take off somewhat slowly, its fine but giving it any more will cause it to die. It has a new fuel pump and filter, I was told that the carb was rebuilt, but cannot verify. Wasn't sure if anyone had experienced this or if this is normal? I always drive in High, never manually from Low to High.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 7:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Hesitation on take off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I would check, or rather replace, the points, condenser, rotor and distributor cap along with new sparkplugs and check the plug wires too as who knows how old they are. A new coil would complete the ignition system renewal and likely give you your performance back.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Check the condition of the accelerator pump boot. If it looks okay, then probably the carb was rebuilt. Otherwise it could be an accelerator pump problem.

As Bob said, a faulty ignition system (I would check your plugs first) is another likely culprit.

Driving in high should be no problem as long as you can feel the transmission going in and out of direct drive. Though if it was stuck in direct you would stall at every stop. You should feel a bit of a jerk/clunk/shift around 20-30mph which is the clutch plate engaging.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 7:55
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Teddyh53Clip
See User information
I feel the shift at 50mph every time on the faster speed limit roads. I do drive this car almost daily to work 5 days a week (40 mile round trip) on country and state roads. Plus weekends. Though it does shift sooner in the city. I was also told the spark plugs were replaced, but looking at them, the tops of them, from what i can see, they almost have a white residue on top. The cap and wires look cleaner than the plugs.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 8:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Teddy, the condition you describe is not normal. There are several possible reasons but the first that I'd check would be the function of the carburetor accelerator pump. To do that, with the ignition off or disabled, remove the air filter, hold the choke valve open if necessary, and peer down the throat of the carburetor as you give the accelerator linkage a full stroke. As long as there is fuel in the carburetor you should see a small but vigorous stream of gasoline spray into the venturis. If you don't see this, service the carburetor accordingly. If the accelerator pump is functioning then we can move on to the next possibility.

Taking a broader perspective, if you don't know the last time the engine was given a comprehensive tune-up, then it's probably in order to do one now. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condensor, retime ignition, clean or replace fuel filters, service air filter, etc. etc.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 9:02
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Many accelerator pump linkages have adjustments. You may be able to adjust it to a richer setting.

Accelerator pump issues are most noticeable before the engine warms up.

Other things to check: Initial timing, automatic spark advance function, automatic choke function, manifold heat valve function.

Spark plug wires and dirty or worn plugs can also cause hesitation, as can points/condenser problems.

I'd start by checking the automatic choke and accelerator pump function.

The engine should never hesitate.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 10:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've had the acceleraor pump tear on the '54. It had similar symptoms to what you are reporting.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 10:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved