Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
251 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 250

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Chrome & Stainless Steel
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:
Quote:

JWL wrote:
One of the least liked tasks back in the day was removing the protective film from the chrome grille on the 51-53 Packards. The film would quickly turn color and start to peel. We used a strong paint remover, but it still took much effort and time to get the film off.

After the coating was removed was a new coating of enamel applied?

No more lacquer protective coating. The cleaned chrome was given a good coat of wax.

Posted on: 2023/10/8 14:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The grille on the my 54 came from a 53 donor car and was covered in yellowed lacquer that I had to remove. So there was still some war chrome being produced on the 53 model line. Figure this could have been a 53 that was produced in the fall of 1952.

Posted on: 2023/10/9 7:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
The grille on the my 54 came from a 53 donor car and was covered in yellowed lacquer that I had to remove. So there was still some war chrome being produced on the 53 model line. Figure this could have been a 53 that was produced in the fall of 1952.

Outside of some minor pitting my chrome is pretty good, but not sure if it's because the chrome is the "good" stuff, or if it's because the car spent most of it's life inside, at least I'm assuming it did.

Posted on: 2023/10/9 9:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In this STB, Packard states the affected brightwork parts are coated with a "Baked Enamel."

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/51T-22.pdf

Posted on: 2023/10/9 10:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't help but wonder if dealers and owners completely removing and then not replacing the enamel covering or "film" over the war chromed grille when it was new might have hastened and worsened the deterioration that we see on many 52s.

When announcing the use of war chrome in the service counselor article linked in the second post, Packard wrote several paragraphs explaining cautions in cleaning and then how to repair the covering should it be scratched in use. A few months later they issued another article cautioning dealers to no longer use the Blue Coral as was originally suggested as being a safe to use cleaner because that product was found to be damaging the covering. If they went to the trouble of explaning how to protect it doubt they intended for it to be removed.

Posted on: 2023/10/9 10:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
In this STB, Packard states the affected brightwork parts are coated with a "Baked Enamel."

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/51T-22.pdf

Given the description in the article I think I have a few parts that are affected by the restrictions. The reason being is the lack of chrome and the copper plate starting to show.

Tail lights and washers have copper showing, but grill and fins are good.

Attach file:

jpg  20231009_092205_resized.jpg (222.67 KB)
226104_65242b22948f6.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20231009_092404_resized.jpg (175.08 KB)
226104_65242b443a96c.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20231009_092234_resized.jpg (178.21 KB)
226104_65242b563b76c.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/10/9 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Usually pretty easy to identify SS vs chrome trim. There's a noticeable difference in luster. SS will rust stain but usually won't pit.(saltwater excluded) Pitting is common in white metal chromed trim. The white metal goes bad over time too even if the "chrome" is good.
Just because the chrome is off/thin, doesn't mean much as it's easy to over clean chrome and wear off the chrome layer with the polish compounds. It's only on there at a small amount. Copper and nickel do the heavy plating. If it's dull then likely the chrome is gone - nickel showing, if the copper is showing the nickel is gone too.
SS can be heavily buffed/polished as it's the same metal all the way through. It's just thin metal to start with.

Posted on: 2023/10/10 16:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved