Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22 -23 series ID question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a discussion on the PAC forum about a recent auction purchase. The auction photos and numbers provided by the new owner appear to be for a 22nd series eight with the question of it being renumbered or actually a 22nd made for sale as a 49 still unresolved.

The interesting part is the discussion went into build slips and I gave information on where they had been found by others. The owner looked and posted a photo of one he said he found which appears to be wrong for the car. I have asked where in the car he found it and am still awaiting an answer.

EDIT. Just got a response and it was found at the gas tank so conceivably the tank came from the other car so that would explain how that slip came to be with the car.

Now for the interesting part. The way I interpret the build slip it is for a 23rd series and with a low sequence number and the use of paint code R which paint code info in Bob Neal's book saying was only used on 1550 23rd series anniversary gold cars would seem to indicate it is for one of those special cars. There is one number at the first entry of the slip I cannot interpret. Maybe someone here could.

Would any of the 22-23 guys like to look at the postings and offer suggestions or corrections on whether I am wrong in my interpretation of the slip and if it actually did come from an anniversary car.

https://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=30527#p30516

Posted on: 2023/10/7 11:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 22 -23 series ID question
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Howard, there are ¾ left & right rear photos in the auction listing . . . take note of the size of the rear window. To my eye that’s a 22nd series body . . . the 23rd series rear window is much larger.

dp

Posted on: 2023/10/7 12:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Without doubt that body is a 22nd Series.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 14:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree the car is a 22nd series and numbers on the car are the correct ones but more curious now if the build slip found in the car could be from one of the anniversary cars and the way it got into that car is probably from a transplanted fuel tank.. Anyone know what the first numerical item 1706 might designate?

Posted on: 2023/10/7 14:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Minor aside: when I was an early teenager, my grandfather had a couple of 22 series cars and a 23 series super. I told him that I had trouble telling the difference. Not a man given to remarkable patience, he nevertheless and without parking 2 side-by-side gave me a walk-around and pointed out all the differences. For me, it was truly a case of one-trial learning.

You can't see until you can see . . . .

Posted on: 2023/10/8 7:01
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
besides the gas tank location, sometimes the slip was on top of the glove box. Was that checked also?

Posted on: 2023/10/8 7:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
...Anyone know what the first numerical item 1706 might designate?

To the best of my knowledge, no one has come up with the meaning of those first four digits found on the gas tank build slip. My '49 22nd series shows 9735 and my '49 23rd series shows 67xx (last two digits are not legible).

Posted on: 2023/10/15 10:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved