Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 172

MVS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 Pushbutton Instruction Decal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
Hello All - by chance would anyone know if anyone reproduces the decal that I've seen 1) placed atop the 1956 Pushbutton pod or 2) over the arm that connects the Pushbutton pod to the steering column?

Kiff

Attach file:

jpg  transmission decals.jpg (74.95 KB)
226342_65371cd535bdf.jpg 811X1219 px

Posted on: 2023/10/23 20:26
1956 Packard Caribbean Hard Top
1962 Imperial Crown Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Pushbutton Instruction Decal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
Note: i tried making a decal - shown in the center of my 3 pictures shown.....

Posted on: 2023/10/23 20:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Each line in the body of text in your attempt is centered, but the body of text in the first image (applied to an arm) appears be left-justified. Also, the last line in the first image looks like it has a space forced before the word "AND". Or is the third image of an original.

Posted on: 2023/10/23 20:36
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
ah - could well be. i tried to decipher what it said. If anyone happens to know of who might make a repro - please let me know.

Posted on: 2023/10/23 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I could make a convincingly original design in GIMP sometime.

Posted on: 2023/10/24 6:40
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would think there are several built in or even free apps that could reproduce the labels or decals. Avery also offers an online tool that utilize their paper labels although I don't know if decals are part of it. For home use, there are different kinds of paper including, surprisingly, transparent plastic like materials for the typical water transfer decals. That one is available for both inkjet and laser printers.

I have wondered about the various Packard decals or if they are even decals rather than just cheap paper labels. Packard seems to have used several over the years and placed them in prominent places on otherwise nicely finished surfaces. Question in my mind is since they still appear in photos, were they supposed to be a long term thing or just supposed to stay until the operator was familiar with a feature.

I lean toward temporary because if long term I would have thought they would have chosen better quality materials and gone to more effort to place them neatly. The sloppy placement can be seen in a couple of the photos of 24th series ign switch labels that have surfaced where the labels are crooked and somewhat haphazardly positioned. That blue print label on the pushbutton pod above is also not that neat even allowing for half a century of wear.

Posted on: 2023/10/24 11:25
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Question in my mind is since they still appear in photos, were they supposed to be a long term thing or just supposed to stay until the operator was familiar with a feature.

Undoubtedly I think they were supposed to be temporary. With no disrespect to those who want to re-add them to their cars now, they were honestly very tacky to have on a luxury car and I'm confident Packard expected owners to remove them at their convenience. For example, the label that was posted recently that was on some 30's cars, reminding the owner to read the manual, plastered directly over the clock face. Surely they did not expect that one to stay for long.

Also, I know there are various home-brew solutions for printing labels, but the difficulty is generating an image of satisfactory authenticity off of some random photo of an ancient label. Similar to how making a convincing reproduction of nearly any car part is harder than it looks.

Posted on: 2023/10/24 13:41
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Kiff Rule wrote:
ah - could well be. i tried to decipher what it said. If anyone happens to know of who might make a repro - please let me know.

The item in question here was not a "decal" but rather a temporary label. A sticker. A decal was a whole different thing– usually intended to remain a part of the vehicle. A sticker was not meant to be permanent with the vehicle.

Packard also affixed such peel-off temporary stickers on the ignition switches of early 1950s vehicles.

There is a fellow in Ohio who makes tons of decals and stickers for various hobby uses today. PM me and I can provide the contact info, etc.

Posted on: 2023/11/21 12:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I don't think this is a "factory" thing. A dealer may have cooked this up.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 13:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Mr.Pushbutton wrote:
I don't think this is a "factory" thing. A dealer may have cooked this up.

I really don't know what to believe but Packard did add some what IMO are sort of trashy looking labels over the years. The push button shift labels or stickers have been seen on more than one car in different parts of the country and the same type tacky ign switch label is even mentioned in some service articles. I would think shift labels found in many cars over a large area would almost need factory rather than dealer support.

Here is a link to a video of a supposedly 4700 mile original car with documentation that claims to prove the low mileage. You can see the label on top of the pod.

Attach file:

jpg  label.jpg (72.58 KB)
209_6560f48754008.jpg 1054X460 px

Posted on: 2023/11/24 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved