Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Over heating 1936 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Us back yard boys test for exhaust in the coolant by shining a flashlight in the rad with the cap off and looking for bubbles, all the easier in a non-pressurized system like these.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Bubbles in coolant may definitely indicate a head gasket leak. But make sure the water pump is not leaking air in at the seal. Especially with a partly clogged radiator, there is an increased tendency to pull air into the system at the water pump seal or any possible leak in the radiator core or lower hose/pipe connections.
I've seen head gasket leak cases where the coolant looked fizzy with tiny bubbles, almost like beer. Rusty coolant often indicates a head gasket leak.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Thanks - The car belongs to a friend who lives a distance from me. So I'm not working on the car, but providing him some guidance. One of the first things I had him do was to get a HF infrared thermometer.

I've had one for years. One of the best tool investments I've made.

Wishing my PackardInfo friends a

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Posted on: 2023/11/23 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I should have posted this earlier. The problem was traced to a bad thermostat. The shop that had worked on the car a few months before said that they had replaced the it, but they hadn't.

Posted on: 12/12 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
It's usually a small problem but takes time to figure out. Glad you got it fixed.

Posted on: 12/12 21:11
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

MichaelF350
See User information
My 35-893 would overheat during high speed runs. When we decided to restore the car and rebuild the engine, we discovered no matter what we did the cooling distribution tube would not come out. So, we did the pressure washer thing at every opening. We had the radiator rebuilt, and since the car would be getting A/C I installed a ‘54 water pump and a 7 blade fan from a later model Mopar v8. Had to cut it to 16 inches diameter as I remember but a simple job on a radial arm saw with a cut off wheel.

You wil have to probably machine the hub a bit to fit the water pump pulley and redrill the hole pattern to match. Not too difficult.

It made a great difference.

Mike

Posted on: 2/10 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have some of the stock A/C fans but for 1953 and 1954, they were still 4-blade but larger than the non-A/C type - 20" as I recall.

Posted on: 2/10 23:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved