Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 202

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Parts Cross-Reference
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Is there some way to add a flag invalid feature for incorrect or obsolete entries in the Parts Cross-Reference? There seem to be many errors and also many duplicates for the same part. I would love to volunteer to clean it up but not sure even where to begin! Maybe some kind of a moderator (I'm happy to help) who receives the entries rather than having them posted directly.

Posted on: 2023/11/11 0:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Parts Cross-Reference
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I can add some controls to allow a moderator to edit or delete entries. This is what I did in the past for Mal so he could help tame the Registry.

Posted on: 2023/11/11 8:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
A comment about deleting "obsolete" part numbers. Even if a specific cross reference p/n is not available any longer at the corner parts store, it may turn up on eBay or at swap meets. Maybe just a note that a certain p/n is no longer generally available.

Posted on: 2023/11/11 11:54
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good point which is why I suggested marking rather than deleting them. Also, the various part numbers for the same part can be combined with a little research to add the factory part number where it's available. Since it sorts by part name and they were not entered consistently by users, those can be fixed too.

Kev does an absolutely wonderful job on this site which is a wonderful source and resource for all Packard owners everywhere but there is only so much that one person can do when they have their own life and projects which is why I volunteered to help if I can!

Posted on: 2023/11/11 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
We will have to call you ‘Mail Junior’ Ernie in Arizona.

Posted on: 2023/11/11 12:36
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think the extra info is necessary and adding another layer of eyeballs is taking up a bunch of time this late in the game. Unless one can map it and parse into a different format for easy searching/use? Always a chance of losing data there. Whatever, it has to be accepting of evolution as others will disappear over time, either source of item.
This is what happens with anybody can post things, they get disheveled over time. 'WIKI' anything is notorious.
I, too, think retaining the obsolete info, maybe as sub category, is still useful, Superceding parts always occurs. It may help run something down. I keep reman info and P/Ns for that reason. Never know what pops up. If you only look for one thing, one way, you may miss a gem. It's only going to get tighter going forward for P stuff, so plan accordingly.

Posted on: 2023/11/11 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's why I would prefer getting it in raw database format so that it can be reworked more easily. However, you're right that it is probably far too late for this to get better and will only get worse from here.

I went through the entire 1948-1954 parts book line by line and cleaned it up, correcting OCR and other errors while also making some terminology more consistent (it was just put online a few weeks ago) as I like working with databases. It's what I did professionally, along with Web programming and IT work, before retiring.

The reason it came up about the Parts Cross-Reference was that I just got an incorrect distributor cap due to errors in the listing and a numbering change at Napa but, as it was special order, I can't return it without paying shipping for one in a far off warehouse.

Posted on: 2023/11/11 15:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Don, you should now be able to edit and delete parts from the Xref. If you make a change, you will now be shown as the person who added the part.

Posted on: 2023/11/14 10:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Wow, thank you!

Posted on: 2023/11/14 12:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Good on you Don for taking on this task. Any clean up of the Parts Cross-Reference is very welcome.

Posted on: 2023/11/14 18:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved