Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Packard Deluxe 8 cylinder engine removal.
Just popping in
Just popping in

Slatewood
See User information
I am going to remove the engine to tear it down when it got hot it must have damaged some of the cylinder packs. It only has compression on some cylinders when cranking it over. It trys to fire with a small shot of starting fluid. It looks like the support that goes around the radiator needs to be removed or cut the top off and then bolted or welded back in place. After looking at the front and seeing the support holds up the front of the fenders and everything above the bumper not sure of what is the best way to go.

Posted on: 2023/11/19 18:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Packard Deluxe 8 cylinder engine removal.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you’ve asking how to get clearance to remove the engine, I don't believe it’s necessary to take it apart other than removing the hood and braces (I’m not an expert of the ‘48-‘50 era) but my personal preference is to remove the entire front clip leaving only the frame and engine sticking out. That’s actually not as difficult as it sounds but it does take help in lifting it off as a unit as it’s quite heavy. Several pairs of strong arms should be able to handle it.

Posted on: 2023/11/19 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You can cut the top of the radiator hoop and bolt it back, BUT--as Don says it is not that hard to remove the whole front clip which makes attending to a thousand other details very easy. I always remove the engine and trans together so I can service the trans etc at the same time.

There is one big bolt and two struts holding the cradle at the front. In the car remove the kick panels for access to the fender bolts.

Posted on: 2023/11/20 7:23
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Does this same principle (removing front clip) also apply to '51-54 models? Or do the fenders need to be removed separately?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/11/22 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's a matter of choice but I typically remove the fenders separately as I work by myself.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 20:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross has posted pics of removing the entire clip in one go. But that can pretty unwieldy unless you have the equipment to support all that weight. Also, the grill is pot metal. So it doesn't bend without breaking. So unless you can full support the clip without it bending, I'd just removing the fenders first.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 21:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You need to study this a bit. That's a heavy lift ~1000 lbs and normal chinese takeout engine crane is at the limit of load and height. I had to beef mine up.
I removed one side to be able to swing out, I didn't have the height and the radiator support comes with the motor after you unbolt. Finding the COG is also not that easy, I had to re-position the slings a few times to get it to level. Take the trans support out after it's on the crane. I did it all myself.
I posted all that back about 8 years ago, so maybe you should read all the old posts for tips. Someone had a good pattern for a cradle too. I made one on casters.
The L8 won't fit on the std. V8 engine stand either. Some shops may not be able to line bore so need to do your research.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 14:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved