Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 227

53 Cavalier, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1929 6-33 fuel issue
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

‘29 633 Mel
See User information
I have a 1929 6-33 7 passenger touring that has sat for about 12 years. Apparently it was running when it was parked outdoors. I freed up the engine so it would turn over, installed a new battery, rebuilt the starter motor, changed all fluids etc.

I am not getting fuel from the tank to the carb. When I disconnect the hose to the carb and put a vacuum on it I do get gas flowing. Therefore it must be the fuel pump.

I know some have said the 1929’s didn’t have a fuel pump and it works via a vacuuum tank attached to the firewall. I have no vacuum tank and have an electric pump above the right rear tire as shown in the pic.

Has anyone seen this type of pump? Are they repairable? If not, what suggestions do you have??

Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0038.jpeg (0.00 KB)
226568_6562832aa0544.jpeg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2023/11/25 18:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 6-33 fuel issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Having owned and driven two 633's and other similar models, for many years I strongly suggest reverting to a vacuum tank. There are new cheap electric pumps available but there are too many issues The vacuum tank is a simple and extremely reliable device that suits the carburetor and works extremely well.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 19:19
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day ‘29 633 Mel,
to PackardInfo.

I suggest you follow David's advice, he is quite the 633 Guru

I also invite you to include your '29 633 7 Passenger Touring in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 20:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I doubt the old pump can be repaired.
Electric pumps are available, but they can be problematic on early cars. A vacuum tank system as originally equipped would deliver gasoline to the carburetor at a few ounces to perhaps a pound of pressure per square inch. Fuel pumps used on later Packards, such as mid 1930's models, typically delivered fuel at 3 to 4 pounds per square inch. If you used a modern, LOW PRESSURE electric pump with the early carburetor, a fuel pressure regulator would probably be needed to reduce the fuel pressure from around 4 to 7 pounds per square inch, or more, down to about 1 pound per square inch. In the interest of keeping the car original and complete, I'd try to obtain the correct vacuum tank system. If that proves to be impractical, a 6 volt, low pressure electric pump and regulator can be obtained, or a gravity tank and bypass system could be rigged up to simulate the original vacuum tank system.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 20:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '29 Standard Eight Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/11/26 14:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

‘29 633 Mel
See User information
Thank you for the info. I am very much in the ‘keep it original’ camp. I am just completing an off the frame restoration of a ‘38 Dodge Coupe and went through great lengths to bring it back to ‘off the floor’ condition. So I am firmly in that camp.

The Packard is a rescue vehicle in that I observed the vehicle being left outside for almost a decade (sometimes with a tarp, sometimes not), and decided to contact the owner before it degraded too far. I now have the vehicle and am trying to get it running again, so it can be passed onto a new owner who will truly appreciate the vehicle. The ‘38 ate up my reserves, so keeping the Packard would be a shame as it would simply sit in the heated garage and not be enjoyed as it should.

I appreciate the info, and hopefully the next owner will do what I would’ve liked to have done - bring it back to ‘off the floor’ condition.

Thanks again

Mel

Ps, if anyone wants a 1929 633 7 passenger touring that is in a 6/10 condition, I am open for a discussion.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2622.jpeg (0.00 KB)
226568_6563fd40b84ab.jpeg 0X0 px

jpeg  IMG_2622.jpeg (0.00 KB)
226568_6563fd6ee2980.jpeg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2023/11/26 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
You are describing the reasons why these cars need a vacuum tank, not an electric fuel pump. The vacuum pump feeds by gravity at negligible pressure.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 2:01
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I would concur with David and get the Vacuum tank up and running. Even Rolls-Royce use them. This week I have had to go through the 34 P11 Autovac and with a six position fuel selector at the base of the Vacuum tank, it is not for the faint hearted. it is always handy to have an electric fuel pump but the vacuum tanks are simple and normally very reliable.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 2:18
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Actually a heated garage is not the best place to store a car as the heat promotes condensation. Better a constant cold temperature but not freezing.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 2:47
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

1929ClubSedan
See User information
I also recommend going back to vacuum. Once you have it working soundly it is a great system. I support the comments regarding electric pumps and issues regulating the inline fuel pressure feeding the carburetor. These 1929 Series 6 are Packard at their zenith, others who have them hold that view.

Posted on: 12/8 16:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved